LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2010, 02:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
Norton = The Antichrist.
That maybe true for all I know ;-)

Quote:
Norton = -25% system resorces off the hop and 365 days of annoying pop ups.
True for Norton 2008 and prior products, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, but Norton 2009+ are completely new products and very "light" on the system. I was gobsmacked at how light it was the 1st time I tried it.

Quote:
Norton has a poorer detection rate than Avira antivirus which is free for home use.
Avira AntiVir does have one of the better signature detection engines, though with AV-Comparative's on demand reactive tests Norton is usually within 1-2% of AntiVir's detection rate, not really a significant difference in my book.

However no matter how good an AV's signature detection, nowadays signature based detection cannot keep up with the rate that new malware appears and the speed at which they can spread, thus most paid AV product include non-signature and other behaviour based detection modules to deal with those unknown malware.