Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2010, 09:10 AM
HaDeS

No way that PSU is the problem unless by some coincidence it's JUST died. I run more than that on a 500w enermax and it's fine. My current system only pulls around 300w idle 400ish load on a 1000w psu and thats with a fair bit of water cooling.

Generally speaking when you change vid cards from NVIDIA -ATI- Nvidia you should really re-install your OS. This would help you eliminate any possible hardware failures. Lock ups can be caused from failing HDDs/sata ports but not normally total power downs. Better to eliminate software as the issue before you go spending money on unneeded hardware.

btw: my pvr uses a 500w enermax with heaps more gear attached and its completely fine.
Old April 25, 2010, 09:35 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
btw: my pvr uses a 500w enermax with heaps more gear attached and its completely fine.<>
Comparing an Enermax to a StealthXStream is like comparing a BMW to a Ford Pinto.
Old April 25, 2010, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Comparing an Enermax to a StealthXStream is like comparing a BMW to a Ford Pinto.
Well I'm using a StealthXStream. Granted the system doesn't take as much power as Farmrush, but his power supply is most likely fine. I think something else is causing the problem.

Do you have a multimeter around to test the PSU? I'm not sure how to do that but I think that would be a good idea to test the power supply to see if it's causing the issue.
Old April 25, 2010, 10:25 AM
Rookie

No multimeter... hmm. I may just reformat. It's been awhile and I like to keep things running smooth. We'll see.
Old April 25, 2010, 11:15 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Well I'm using a StealthXStream. Granted the system doesn't take as much power as Farmrush, but his power supply is most likely fine. I think something else is causing the problem.

Do you have a multimeter around to test the PSU? I'm not sure how to do that but I think that would be a good idea to test the power supply to see if it's causing the issue.
I'm not saying the PSU is the culprit (it probably isn't), but you can't judge a 500W StealthXStream based on what a 500W Enermax is capable of, since the Enermax is much better.
Old April 25, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking at this I would almost have to say that since you are getting straight shutdowns it could have something to do with changing the video cards, mainly it is possible that something is not seated right or maybe you have caused a short. This could cause pretty much all of your issues. So to get around that I would blow out everything with some air and take it all out and re-seat it all. Double check all cables and make sure there are no shorts happening.

You can also take a look in the event viewer and see if there is anything in there. That could maybe help us out for figuring this one out.

Old April 25, 2010, 01:23 PM
HaDeS

Quote:

That good eh... honestly I thought OCZ used comparable components. It's been a while since I looked into where each of them get their parts from. Format sounds like the best idea to start with because other than a bit of your time, it costs nothing.
Old April 25, 2010, 01:42 PM
Rookie

Would it be better to use a separate drive for the OS? I've never really looked into it.
Old April 25, 2010, 01:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post
Would it be better to use a separate drive for the OS? I've never really looked into it.
In practice, it doesn't really matter. However, I do recommend splitting the drive between an OS partition and a data partition. I personally keep my OS and programs on one partition, all of my installed games on another partition, and I have a separate drive for my data. It saves me a lot of trouble when I reinstall Windows, because I don't have to back anything up and it takes much less time to set up all of my games again (I have about 450GB of games installed at the moment).
Old April 25, 2010, 01:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
In practice, it doesn't really matter. However, I do recommend splitting the drive between an OS partition and a data partition. I personally keep my OS and programs on one partition, all of my installed games on another partition, and I have a separate drive for my data. It saves me a lot of trouble when I reinstall Windows, because I don't have to back anything up and it takes much less time to set up all of my games again (I have about 450GB of games installed at the moment).
On that note, I'll just continue this here: I've tried setting up a separate partition (this was years ago and I didn't look too much into it) to do just that, but I noticed a lot of things installing the to program files folder without asking me. This ended up with a tiny cramped partition, filled with games that wouldn't install to my data partition... hmm