Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22, 2010, 08:15 AM
Top Prospect

Default 1.5 year old OCZ SSD MBR problems

My main laptop is a Asus F6V-V1 the smelly flowery one.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - I got the black one.

I upgraded the drive to a OCZ 120gb 155mb/s about 1.5 years ago.

Newegg.com - OCZ Solid Series OCZSSD2-1SLD120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II

I have installed different OS on it multiple times. I just got W7U. This past week I have been letting it stay on to stream videos to my Media Center. It got really hot and shutdown (not sure if the heat is related). When I tried to boot it said no boot device found. I waited about an hour and tried again, and it booted. I backed it up to the second partition on the drive. Probably will come back to bit me in the not to of backed it up to an external drive. Anyways, it has been booting the rest of the week. I let it auto-shutdown from low battery, while listening to music. When I tried to boot I got the same no boot device error. I let it sit for an hour, still the same error. I then let it sit over night. Same error. I took a shower came back, it booted. I logged into windows using my passworded account, and it blue screened.

I am hoping the drive isn't bad. The Asus probe program said the temp was normal when it usually got that hot. I was thinking about improving the heat sink by adding some copper to it, but I donno what the root problem is. Would overheating shutdown cause mbr to get messed up? Would low battery auto shutdown mess up the mbr? How would it fix itself? Why would it be intermediate? Would repair install not use the bad sectors?

What would be the best way to test a SSD? I am considering just buying a new one, then putting this drive in another laptop.

Last edited by whited; April 22, 2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old April 22, 2010, 08:21 AM
Top Prospect

Is this drive outdated and not worth keeping? I donno if it supports TRIM, and how that would effect it.
Old April 24, 2010, 01:36 PM
Top Prospect

HAHA I fixed it.

I took the drive out, and notices there was something loss inside. You could hear something rattling around inside of it. I decided to take the threw screws out that didn't have the warranty sticker on them, and try to open the case enough for what ever it was to fall out. I heard something fall out, but couldn't find it. When I went to put the 3 screws back in there was an fourth Anyways no more problems!
Attached Images

Old April 24, 2010, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha really? A screw was loose? lol
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 24, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah there is four more screws keeping the PCB to the case inside the case. Sounds like it got REALLY hot ...or one of the screws was not tightened down enough and it came lose and was shorting something out.
That drive is a JMicron controller based SSD, does not support TRIM, doesn't have ITGC and needs the occasional cleaning. IF it continue to works, run a Tony-TRIM on it (or at least the FreeSpaceCleaner w/FF option part of the TT trim process) every so often (couple of weeks or when it start to get noticeably slower). IF it is toast....hope you get a newer model like the Solid 2 which is NOT a JM602 based SSD back from RMA, as even the oh so suboptimal Solid 2 is a step up and wont stutter on ya. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr