Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Computer Not booting 2 months old- Help (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/31209-computer-not-booting-2-months-old-help.html)

Lavitz April 20, 2010 09:30 AM

Computer Not booting 2 months old- Help

Hey guys,I Built my friend a couple about 2 1/2 months ago with the following specs.
Asus p6t delxue v2
Core I7 920 /Do -stock
6 gb ddr g.skill ram
corsair 750 modular powersupply
ati 5770
western digital 1tb hdd.

He said his pc was turning on but nothing was displaying on the screen? He tried couple restarts said the pc eventually wont even boot.Mobo light is on but hte fans dont turn on or anything.Also he said his fan s would rapidly spin and slow down when the pc was trying to bootup.Night before pc turned off fine. My friend barley uses his pc ever. Doesnt even game on it.. So having something overheat is out of the question 10% pc power is ever used, so im kind of confused where to begin.

I told him to check ram was seated in properly and swap them. Nothing still dead
Take HDD - still dead?.

So now basically Powersupply is dead? Faulty Mobo ? Cpu? has issues?. Whats going on what should we do ?. Also anyone know how the asus mobo is suppose send beeps? Is there something we need to plug into to hear beeps? We never got beeps ever.

HaDeS April 20, 2010 01:09 PM

A motherboard will scream like a banshee with nothing plugged into it. You can slowly but surely test each component if you choose starting with the cpu... this is of course if it even boots at all. Sooooo...

If you plug in the board with NOTHING (not even the cpu) that board (with the pc speaker plugged in) should howl like a banshee and if nothing happens its dead. You'll need to look up the bios beep codes. You may want to find out how he powers down the computer too... I have a friend who once thought that in order to power down a computer safely you hit the red button the power bar.

Lavitz April 20, 2010 01:19 PM

Well All the components are plugged in. I guess the only way to figure it out what is wrong is swap the parts but is there anything we can do to avoid that?>.< Don't have spare gpu,cpu,mobo,psu to test all the parts. Just help narrowing it down. Also is there a speaker that needs to be plugged into the mobo to hear beeps?.Like an led light with wire?.

HaDeS April 20, 2010 02:58 PM

You will need a speaker. Having spares obviously helps but let me re-state my post.

Pull the board out and place it on a motherboard box or something cardboard. Cardboard doesn't conduct electricity. Yank everything off the motherboard... all the cards, ram, cpu. Everything.
Plug it in to the power suply and boot it up... this can be done with a screwdriver by shorting the power switch jumpers on the mobo... the one you plugged the wire in to the case on/off switch. You can also use a jumper from an IDE hdd if you want.... either way thats how you can turn on a psu with no switch connected. If you use a jumper don't leave it on after the power is on.

If nothing happens its dead....:doh: if it beeps like crazy its alive. :thumb:
Then do the cpu... make sure the HSF is properly secured (don't mess around without the HSF ok)
Boot the pc... should beep at you because it has no video and no ram.
then do it with the CPU and ram no video
if it beeps then do it with the video card (monitor connected)
finally try it with the video card and cpu with no ram installed.

each of these configs will have beeps for each component that is missing or not working.

if nothing happens when you have nothing plugged in the board is more than likely fried... and chances are he's been powering down the computer incorrectly which almost NOBODY will ever admit.

Computer Post / Beep codes

PC Hell: BIOS Error Beep Codes

BiosCentral - Award BIOS Beep Codes

Lavitz April 20, 2010 04:07 PM

"Plug it in to the power suply and boot it up... this can be done with a screwdriver by shorting the power switch jumpers on the mobo... the one you plugged the wire in to the case on/off switch. You can also use a jumper from an IDE hdd if you want."
Can you please explain that so i can do it. maybe a video :D, im at work I can surf around much.

HaDeS April 20, 2010 05:29 PM

oh... well i thought you built this for him. Surely you know where the power switch gets plugged into on the mobo? The HDD led, Speaker, Reset, etc all get plugged into the same spot. Use the cases switch if you are unsure I guess. It will be on the manual where this stuff is plugged into. If you are unsure about how to do this perhaps

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. download the manual from asus in pdf format. I'm sorry I cannot access my FTP at the moment so i cannot upload any picture type directions.

http://www.asus.com/websites/Global/...U836p0_500.jpg

Bottom left corner is where the power switch gets plugged into.. you just need to short the 2 pins that are the power switch with a screwdriver or a

jumper (little white thing in picture) Your motherboard probably has several of these things on it already. Grab one off an old board or something.
http://www.daileyint.com/build/6hdjump.jpg

Basically just touch the TWO pins with something metal and it fires up the mobo.

Lavitz April 22, 2010 08:48 AM

So take a spare jumper off the mobo, use it to connect pins that for the power ?.Could I just use a screen driver?. :bananafunky:

grimx133 April 22, 2010 10:14 AM

Just use a screwdriver, I use a knife most of the time, but anything will work, as long as it conducts electricity. It just needs momentary contact, as soon as you see signs of life, remove whatever metallic object you are using to short the pins.

HaDeS April 22, 2010 04:36 PM

you can use either... i was just hoping to get your brain wrapped around the concept.

Lavitz April 22, 2010 06:33 PM

okay i tried doing the jumper thing. I placed a blue jumper pulled it off one of the other 2 pins PLace it on the pwr/ground pins. nothing happened. But we randomly kept hitting the power/reset button with frustration pc turned on.. with gpu in there or hdd. The fans start for 2 sec off. start off .start off randomly? BAD PSU? Bad case connection? Haf 922 case. Help!