Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2010, 09:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Something's wrong with my PC

Hey guys, I got a call from my GF tonight and she told me that the computer won't turn on. I left for work this morning and it was folding up a storm so something went wrong with it today. I got her to turn it on and it won't post (no beeps from MB). I can't really dig into it until I get home Thursday evening but I'm curious to see what you all think. When I checked on it this morning it was folding a 548 WU and the GPU temp was unusually high at 82C with the fan speed set to 80%. I didn't think much of this because the computer room door was closed and sometime overnight the GF woke up and decided to crank the heat in the house because she was cold. I pumped up the fan speed to 100% with precision and left for work. If the GPU fried would this cause the PC from not posting? Thanks for the help with my little dilema right before the Chimp Challange.

Cheers

Jason
Old April 19, 2010, 10:28 PM
Banned
F@H

its possible, but id expect some fans turning and no signal to monitor or such...

tell her to phisically pull the plug and leave it be. just in case psu is a torcher.
Old April 19, 2010, 11:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like you will have to do the old "no post" routine. You may have to pull mobo out of case and start adding components until you have isolated the cause. Having replacement parts can really speed up the process. For myself, every time I had problems with my desktops or laptops, it was always bad ram, you may want to start there first.

YouTube - PC Troubleshooting No Post Diagnosis (NCIX Tech Tips #54)