Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2010, 03:53 PM
Rookie

I found an article on google about this, it said something like this

If your going to leave your computer off or idle (sleep or off) take it into consideration
Let your computer sleep if your leaving it for 24hours or less, otherwise turn it off.

Thats what the article said.
Old April 21, 2010, 06:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Ever since I started watercooling, I always turn if off completley, and turn the PSU switch off as well. May seem kind of crazy, but it only take like ten seconds to press power again. Im just playing it safe as I had a leak once while in hibernate once, and it shorted.

As to the actual question, I don't see how it can really effect anything.
Kudos to you. You're saving on that nasty standby power consumption too!

I shutdown my PC every night though, that goes for all by two of the PCs in my house. My living room HTPC is always "sleeping" so that it can be resumed instantly via the remote, and my server runs 24/7. No ill effects on any of my PCs, so I don't think any way is better/worse.
Old April 21, 2010, 07:33 PM
HaDeS

jdrom: Which OS are you running on the HTPC?
Old April 22, 2010, 09:34 AM
Top Prospect

Why would you care about wake time? You have a SSD. My W7 computer full boots in 15 sec with ssd.
Old April 23, 2010, 04:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcb View Post
Hi. I just completed my new build. I am running Win7. I sleep the PC at night when I go to bed and the next morning I wake it up and it instantly turn on and I love it. I have a question regarding it. Is it save to set the PC to sleep or is it better off just turning it off? Will it do any harm to any hardware? I am sure everything is turn off when it is in sleep mode. I don't hear any fan spinning. I have a SSD boot drive and a WD Green data drive.

note some bios support auto start timer (in power section)...just like a alarm clock to boot on a set time
Old April 23, 2010, 09:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
jdrom: Which OS are you running on the HTPC?
Windows 7. Everything in my house runs it
Old April 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSix View Post
I reboot several times a day, just cuz I can. Never used sleep/hibernate/whatever. I use old Raptor drives for my OS installs, and will do so until SSDs are affordable solutions. I can't help but wonder why anyone gives a darn about boot times under a few minutes. How busy are you guys? I'm not knocking progress, I just don't see (other than bragging rights) why a $1000 RAID setup that shaves a few seconds off my boot time is even worth considering, even for a business.
Cause it make my E-PEEN go from this: |----| to this |--------------| I could have made a ASCII style graph, but the mods might have gotten mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Kudos to you. You're saving on that nasty standby power consumption too!

I shutdown my PC every night though, that goes for all by two of the PCs in my house. My living room HTPC is always "sleeping" so that it can be resumed instantly via the remote, and my server runs 24/7. No ill effects on any of my PCs, so I don't think any way is better/worse.
I can either save the planet by consuming less energy, or cure cancer by folding Folding makes the power bill go up, and Im not living on my own yet
Old April 23, 2010, 10:43 PM
Rookie
F@H

Personally if im gonna be away for the computer just for a bit but have applications running, I tend to put it in sleep mode and then come back to resume what I'm doing right away. Otherwise I think you should turn it off every night anyways. You're running an SSD, should be quick to boot up regardless.
Old April 26, 2010, 03:28 PM
Rookie

I find that when I put my win7 computer to sleep (on a x25m g2), about 50% of the time my 1tb wd black doesn't start again until I re-sleep/re-wake a 2nd time. Also, some other strange things seem to happen more frequently (like sound errors, bsod, etc). It's to a point where I'm considering going back to my vista install to see if it's a win7 problem or an ssd issue.