Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2010, 02:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Computer booting problems

I need some help here with my computer. Around 2 days ago I started having this problem - since then I have attempted to "undo" any changes I had made prior to the issue (bios changes and etc) but it did not help resolve it.

Basically what's happening is: when I shutdown my computer and leave it turned off (however the PSU is still on/running, the motherboard light is lit), and then after a couple of hours I turn my computer on, everything starts up however there does not seem to be any signal being send via my graphics card to my monitor. I see no BIOS boot nothing, but the computer does run - HDD lights do blink and everything.

I can get it to work after leaving the computer running in that state (where there is nothing on the monitor to see), turn off the PSU (hit the off button on the PSU) and wait for like 10 seconds, turn the PSU on, wait for another 5 seconds and then attempt to start my computer. After that "general" process, I get to the boot screen and everything.

It's strange and I am not sure if its got something to do with my motherboard, PSU or GPU. I am thinking its the GPU because the system seems "functional" even though nothing can be viewed on the monitor, but I cannot really test it because: 1. No on-board GPU, 2. no extra GPU laying around. However, why does it start working after a while?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron

P.S. Also another thing which I think might be unrelated but I'm not sure. The exact same time when this started to occur, apparently my secondary SATA HDD failed. Because when I "managed" to boot the computer, I would get a BOOT DISK FAILURE error; I have hence resolved that error by simply unplugging my secondary HDD.

Plugging in the secondary HDD while the computer is running works. The secondary HDD is accessible and etc, might be a cause of some minor lag/freezes but it does work.

Just in case this information is needed, my computer setup.

NVIDIA 8800 GT
Intel Core2Duo 3.0GHz
P5N-T Deluxe

Any specific/revelent information required that might help, please ask. Also I checked for any lose hardware, problems with RAM and etc; doesn't seem to be any.

Last edited by Arinoth; April 19, 2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Read the Rules, Do not Double post
Old April 19, 2010, 02:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If I was going to guess, I'd say it's a PSU or Mobo issue. And being that it's a 780i motherboard, that's where I'd start first. Unfortunately, there is a high failure rate with the 7 series Nvidia based motherboards.
Old April 19, 2010, 02:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Is there any way to confirm its either? Its strange as it started to happen all of a sudden. Computer has been running "strong" otherwise for ~2.5 years.

I'm going to try and avoid doing any sort of purchasing during this summer, possibly in the winter- but I need a working computer until then.

I am now thinking also there was some power problems which caused the secondary HDD to fail, which resulted in a boot disk failure.
Old April 19, 2010, 02:30 PM
shaw

I second Sugar's comment. I would consider investing in a P35 board, which can be had for cheap and are very stable.
Old April 19, 2010, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

first replace sata cable, clarify......shut down you mean no video but fan still running on PSU (note MB led is power moniter to know if ac is live@PSU)

other is cpu area is flexing....mite have to loosen abit on socket tension force
Old April 19, 2010, 03:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I had a Corsair power supply that quit putting power through the 6 pin pci-e plug but was fine on everything else. I plugged in a pci-e to molinex adapter and ran it that way until I could pick up another psu
Old April 19, 2010, 04:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
I had a Corsair power supply that quit putting power through the 6 pin pci-e plug but was fine on everything else. I plugged in a pci-e to molinex adapter and ran it that way until I could pick up another psu
I thought that might be it- but if that was the cause, it should never work correct? Mine works and doesn't work. Since I managed to get it booted - it has been running without any issues. Issue occurs when I shut down my PC - starting it back up is the problem.

When I mean shut down, I mean I turn off the computer via the OS/case power button, not via the PSU. When I start up my computer and encounter the said problem, the case fans run, motherboard light turns on, ethernet cable light is on, all connected fans work and I believe even USB has power. Only thing that does not seem operational is the GPU...wish it had lights on it :D

I need a sure shot way, if there is any, to confirm that is is the motherboard. That way I wont end up wasting cash if it isn't!

EDIT:
@replacing the SATA cable. Would that be for the BOOT DISK FAILURE problem or the computer booting problem? Because I have tried starting the computer without any HDD connected (running a live cd), and it did not help.

@cpu flexing; could that problem occur after around 2 years of usage? I will have a look at that.

Last edited by AaronDM; April 19, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old April 19, 2010, 05:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the only thing I can think of is if you can get video working depending on how you shut down and start up then I would lean towards the MOBO as well because it apears as if the vid card does work . ( I have also heard bad things about those boards)
Old April 19, 2010, 06:17 PM
HaDeS

I have an intel board with two failed sata ports. Trying using a different sata port before giving up on the drive. I almost threw out a perfectly good 500gb last year.
Old April 20, 2010, 07:19 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Not sure if this bit helps but...

When starting my computer, in order to now get it to boot properly without problems after a nights rest (~8 hrs of being offline, I leave my computer on during the day now, to ensure I don't need to keep repeating this process. Also note by offline I mean: OS shutdown procedure power off, but PSU is still running - motherboard light is still lit but generally, fans, CPU, HDD and etc are off) I need to basically.

1. Start the computer, leave the computer running for around 4-5 minutes (during this run time there is nothing being shown on the monitor). Generally, I now wait for my PSU fan to start being "noticably noisy".

Usually, when I first start my computer (first time for the day) the PSU's fan is super silent, I can hear it running but barely (its awesome actually, wish it was always like that)

2. Turn off the computer when I feel the fan noise for the PSU is signifant enough. Turn off the PSU as well.
3. Turn on the PSU, wait for a few seconds, attempt to start the computer now

Generally after that, I get a clean, proper computer boot. Monitor works, BIOS boots, Windows starts up and all runs fine - I can run the computer without any problems throughout the entire day!
While running however, the PSU fan is pretty noisy, I wouldn't say exceptionally noisy but decent RPM noisy, got slight warm air venting as well, very slight.

I also notice some dust collected inside the PSU (I can see it when I view it from the back opening/cage or whatever its called), not sure how to clean that out but not sure if its the cause of my problems.

Does this help? is it for sure now the motherboard or possibly the PSU? I'm getting ready to buy either one based on what you guys say :D