Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2010, 12:06 AM
Banned
F@H

btw who brain are we talking about again here?
Old April 19, 2010, 08:21 AM
HaDeS

Braineater. Top ten folder/modder. Considering he reproduced the problem 3 times in a row i'd say that's pretty much a conclusive result.

Using another monitor is a good idea... hardware trouble shooting is all about reproducing the problem using different configurations there by eliminating what could be other faulty hardware and isolating the questionable hardware. I too bought a motherboard years ago that would NOT run 3d it turned out to be a chipset problem thus MSI released version 2 of that same chipset and fixed the problem. You may need to get this mobo to a bootable state and update the bios... this wouldn't be the 1st time a bad bios has caused issues. Generally speaking if the motherboard is in question updating the bios is the next logical progression as it must be eliminated quickly.
Old April 19, 2010, 01:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Braineater. Top ten folder/modder. Considering he reproduced the problem 3 times in a row i'd say that's pretty much a conclusive result.

Using another monitor is a good idea... hardware trouble shooting is all about reproducing the problem using different configurations there by eliminating what could be other faulty hardware and isolating the questionable hardware. I too bought a motherboard years ago that would NOT run 3d it turned out to be a chipset problem thus MSI released version 2 of that same chipset and fixed the problem. You may need to get this mobo to a bootable state and update the bios... this wouldn't be the 1st time a bad bios has caused issues. Generally speaking if the motherboard is in question updating the bios is the next logical progression as it must be eliminated quickly.
I dont think its the monitor, i get the same lines when i switch over display to my hdtv. Ive had a entirely different setup and still got those lines, (different mobo, psu, processor, ram etc..). I had these lines with all my cards. Let me better describe these lines; Its like the screen is divided into 3 pieces and not in sync, at first i thought it was my frame rate, i get 60fps. Im not sure if you can raise the frame rate over that or not.
Old April 19, 2010, 07:11 PM
HaDeS

Hmmmm that's intresting. If you say you've gotten these lines with other setups then it's either the display or you are getting massive amounts of noise through your power line. Have you tried moving this setup to a completely different breaker/circuit? Is the power bar 20 years old? The cable from the monitor to the vid card is the same from the old setup? I would start testing cables if possible... as dumb as it sounds you never know. Can you physically move this rig to a friends house and test it on his or her monitor?

Do you connect your sound card to your ROM drive with the audio dongle? Believe it or not I've witnessed this causing weird shit in the past. Spinning things can create noise or interference. Kinda like how a microwave can screw with wireless phones.

Equate the similarites between the different setups and change those things next... sounds like its something extremely stupid but unobviously simple.

I'm assuming you are doing HDTV via HDMI or DVI>HDMI? Describe your testing methods? I had issue with SVID way back... turns out the 10 dollar svid was better than the 100 dollar svid and obviously that wouldn't have occured to me. Try a vga connector instead and see if it still happens.

Are the 3 peices verticle or horizontal? Some older monitors used to be designed this way... I've seen more than one CRT made this way but the line really didn't affect much and never got out of sync. Do you have the correct monitor drivers installed? LCD Tearing is normal with certain older style displays. LG is particularly bad for tearing during game play and especially cut scenes.