Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2010, 10:28 PM
Banned
F@H

wait hold on a sec. the fan speeds were a given, but they proved voltage and stuff was tampered by them drivers as well? i tought it was just a rumour
Old April 18, 2010, 10:31 PM
HaDeS

The set or two before the fan ones were the worst ones and yes it is an unproven rumour. Makes perfect sense though when you think about it... drivers shouldn't fry video cards.

The only possible way to prove that is with electronic measurement tools which nobody I know has or can afford. Unless a bios program can be opened and examined I wouldn't know how else to extract this data from a video card.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
It could be you installed the nvidia drivers that ruin video cards. They had one set out that was pulled off the site with in days. There were ones previous to that which did actually fry certain cards. Braineater verified this and there is no going back to old drivers if you've used this particular set. Our suspicions where the voltages and other hardware (bios) settings were being altered by the drivers to increase performance? In my experience the cards that start to do this are ready to die or are well on their way.
He said that he had those problems before even though he had a different GPU and power supply. I'm guessing it's not the "killer" driver issue since that was not too long ago. Easy to confirm by checking which drivers are installed.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:33 PM
HaDeS

Impossible to confirm if he's been playing with different driver sets... once you use these particular drivers there is no going back. That much Braineater was able to prove with out question.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Impossible to confirm if he's been playing with different driver sets... once you use these particular drivers there is no going back. That much Braineater was able to prove with out question.
Not if he installed drivers from the CD and never updated.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:39 PM
HaDeS

nobody does that crazy... :-)

If you were for example to use these hardware altering drivers i'm talking about, format windows, install cd drivers and never update, the damage would have already been done. Nvidia did something that permanately alters the cards and in some cases completely ruined them. 3 people I know personally lost their cards within DAYS of each other. More specifically: a 260 55nm, an 8800gtx, and a 280gtx.

What i really want to know is if he is having video issues during the boot sequence... it's one of the symptoms.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
nobody does that crazy... :-)

If you were for example to use these hardware altering drivers i'm talking about, format windows, install cd drivers and never update, the damage would have already been done. Nvidia did something that permanately alters the cards and in some cases completely ruined them. 3 people I know personally lost their cards within DAYS of each other. More specifically: a 260 55nm, an 8800gtx, and a 280gtx.

What i really want to know is if he is having video issues during the boot sequence... it's one of the symptoms.
Looks like its only when gaming. Maybe his monitor is over heating if that"s possible.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:55 PM
HaDeS

Yeh it could be... Brain discovered that even good monitors use cheap components. Some of which can be replaced easily with a soildering iron and a steady hand.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:56 PM
Banned
F@H

ok. lots of issues means soemthing was/is up, even if not proven scientifically

monitor being an issue? it can happen, yes. only while gaming? hmm...altough its possible because theres more 'stuff' going on....

try furmark?
Old April 18, 2010, 11:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I think the next best thing to do and eliminate another possibility is to hook up another monitor just to see, hopefully you have one you can use for a few minutes...

Does this happen with every game you run, or with things like Furmark/Fluidmark or 3Dmark?

It could be the motherboard PCI-E slot that flakes out when running GFX intensive apps.

It could still be the GPU, if your VGA cooler is stock, fan at stock speed and toss in poor case cooling and your card will get hot, which could easily happen with the old and new video card.

In my opinion most stock VGA coolers are barely competent, and even then only with good case cooling/ or normal or below normal ambient temps.

Quote:
Yeh it could be... Brain discovered that even good monitors use cheap components. Some of which can be replaced easily with a soildering iron and a steady hand.
I'm sorry but "refurbishing" LCD monitor parts by hand at home sounds insane

Last edited by Arinoth; April 18, 2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Read the Rules, Do not Double post