Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2010, 04:55 PM
Rookie

Default problems with new build start up - HELP!!!!

I just got done putting my new system together and it won't start up "no post".

First, so you know what I have, these are my major componets;

ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe mother board
Intel i5 750 CPU
Rosewill 1000w power supply
G.Skill 2Gx2 DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 ripjaws memory
MSI R5770 graphics card

This is my problem:

After carefully putting everything together, I push the power botton and the it starts only enough to start all of the fans spinning and then shuts down after 1 or 2 seconds and then pauses and try's to restart, this goes on over and over until I shut the power off to the PSU, after alot of checking and re -checking (including pulling everything apart once and back together) I took the 8-pin EATX12V connector off and left off, it will now seem like it starts all fans continue to spin and all lights seem to be ok, the is no screen on my monitor, well atleast nothing displays at all. The manuel says that the EATX12V has to be plug in or the system will not boot up, and anytime I try to connect the power to, it has the same problem that I strat with. What could be wrong? Bad mother board? Bad CPU? Bad Memory? Bad Video Card? Bad Memory? I already connecte d a different PSU but it has the same issuie's as before. HELP!!!!
Old April 18, 2010, 05:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Could be a short. I am also not sure if your video card needs a power connector. Check to make sure.

If its a short, try the following;

1. Take mobo out of case, and place on cardboard box. Keep your cpu and ram connected. Clear your cmos.

2. Connect psu and video card. Again, make sure video card has power connected if needed.

3. With only the mobo, cpu, ram (use just one stick), video, and psu connected, place a jumper on the motherboard where you see the power +and- and the psu should fire up the computer. If it does not, try your other stick of ram.

If this works, connect your dvd, try again, then your hdd. If all is fine, put back in the case.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 18, 2010, 05:17 PM
Rookie

I will try that, but I do not have to jump the "+" and the "-" because this board has on board power/reset buttons on it so you don't have to connect it to the cases' buttons to turn on, I wiil repost as soon as I pull it all apart again.

Ok I took everything out, this board does have on board leds to let you know where there is a problem and I guess it won't boot until you resolve the problem.

Ok I checked set up with two differsent power supplies and got same results, if I have the power (6-pin) connected to the Video card the board will not go passed the cpu led saying there is a problem withh the cpu, now if I unplug the 6-pin power supply to the video card then everything will be ok except for the video card will have the light on (vga - light). So do I have a problem with CPU, Video Card, or Power Supply?

Last edited by Arinoth; April 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Read the Rules, Do not Double post
Old April 18, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

try plugging your memory into the blue slots instead of the black ones ( if your not already.)

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old April 18, 2010, 07:04 PM
Rookie

they already are - tried both one stick and two sticks - same results. They do atleast pass there led light - This board the "ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe" has on-board led's to let you know that there is a problem, there is a led for "CPU"; "DRM"; "VGA"; "BOOT DEVICE"; as well it has an "On-board Power and Reset Buttons"

If I have everything connected like it is supposed to be, it won't even start up (turns on for 2 seconds - shuts off and tries to start back up and shuts down and over and over until I un plug power supply), if I unplug the 6-pin power for the video card, it will start up to that spot (checking "VGA) and then stop and the led light will be on for the video card (VGA), but if I unplug the 8-pin "EATX12V" power then it will power up but the light will be on for the CPU and it won't go any further on the boot up process.

So I don't know if I have a PSU problem, CPU problem, Video Card Problem, or even a Motherboard problem? Anybody got any ideas? (I did try a spare power suppply that I had laying around, but same problems, so I don't think it is a PSU problem)

HELP!!!!!
Old April 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
HaDeS

Tell me about this 'spare' PSU. It really sounds like a PSU issue to me. Also can you try another video card? Maybe there is a bios update for this problem?
Old April 18, 2010, 11:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Having similar issues with an Asus board, and after swapping the same parts into another motherboard all is well. The BIOS in Asus boards can crap out easily and sometimes never recovers.

At first it seemed to me that it was a short, but tried a bare, basic setup with it outside the case on a "cardboard chassis" lol with no luck.

Resetting the CMOS should have helped too but didn't.

If your lucky enough to have another motherboard to test, great, but if this setup hasn't POSTed from the go, I bet it's the board...
Old April 19, 2010, 09:02 AM
Rookie

as long as I have the video card plug in with power ie: 6-pin connector the board won't go passed checking the CPU.

Out of the box I can get all led's to check and go off (as long as video card does not have power) except the video card ie VGA led.

When it's in the case it seems like their is a short and it will go back to orginal problem.

the other power supply I have is a Aspire 680w, either power supply I use it reacts the same way.

In or or out of case.

It does have a CMOS reset buttom on back of board were the mouse and key board attach, I have tried that with no luck either.
Old April 19, 2010, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i have the same mobo and the vga led lid only when i oc too much or not enough volt to the cpu, but after 3 restarts without screen confirmation, the bios will display OC failed, press F1 to continue.

Nevertheless, i think it's your psu or the wall socket at your house not getting enough power to cold boot a computer... you should try another wall socket (maybe in kitchen where you plug in your microwave)
Old April 19, 2010, 10:27 AM
Rookie

After talking with ASUS support they say send motherboard back and get a new one less likely chance of getting two bad boards in row they say, hopefully