Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2010, 01:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Your computer is low on memory message.

I keep getting "Your computer is low on memory message. Save your files and close these programs" at least once a day. I'm running i7 930 @4.0 21x191, and 12GB of G.Skill 1600Mhz memory underclocked @ 1100, Prime and Memtest86+ stable.

I could be running Photoshop + Premier Pro using 10GB or just one browser open using 2GB, I still get the same message. Same thing happened when I had 16GB system ram on old machine. Anything in the OS that should be tweaked? My page file is set to auto, not sure what else.
Old April 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
Banned
F@H

try to set it at min 8 gigs max 8gigs
Old April 20, 2010, 08:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Tried the 8GB trick but the message still shows up, like your computer is low on memory, close Google Chrome and Steam to free up memory space. I may try to reinstall OS, but I wish there was another way.
Old April 20, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try creating a new shortcut with the following

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

This is "supposed to" free up memory being used by idle tasks.
Old April 20, 2010, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I see you have a Creative sound card. Check in task manager for "audiodg.exe" after you've had your computer running for a while. I've noticed there's a memory leak with regards to Creative (And also Auzentech) drivers, where audiodg.exe would slowly creep up my RAM usage and then Windows would start telling me I'm low on memory. It happened to me both with a Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer and my current Auzentech Forte.
If that's the case, you need to go into your Playback Devices window, go to the properties of whatever your Default Device is, and then find the check box that says "Disable Sound Blaster Enhancements". After that I've had no issues.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...