Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
Rookie

anything else that i should do for my new rig?
Old April 17, 2010, 10:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Shareware/Freeware gems
Old April 18, 2010, 06:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
Ninite Easy PC Setup - Silent Unattended Install Multiple Programs At Once
free fro none pro use i can no longer use it for free and i am cheap
This will install most of what everyojne is talking about check it out.
Old April 18, 2010, 03:06 PM
Rookie

thank you
Old April 18, 2010, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Here is a list of programs I install in every computer I reformat.

Drivers.... throw away your motherboad driver disk. Go to your mobo / Gcard manufactures website for up to date drivers.

Something I should mention before you start installing things...

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS do the "CUSTOM" Installation option. Almost all free software on the net comes with "extras" that you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT like "toolbars" never never never never install a toolbar. So do the custom installation and UNCHECK anything that isnt what you wanted to install.

Avira antivirus ( better than those others people have mentioned, avg is annoying and avast must be "registered")

malware bytes ( the free version MUST be run MANUALLY every now and then. It doesnt have a real time scan.

Foxit reader ( install it with the "custom" option to avoid the "ask toolbar" and ebay desktop link.) Foxit reader is an alternative to ADOBE pdf reader. DO NOT install ANYTHING by adobe (other than flashplayer for youtube.) Adobe installs a huge amount of garbage. Did i mention that you should NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER install a toolbar?

Open Office. You have no idea how many people I see who pirate microsoft office and get upset when i tell them i wont install a pirated copy for them. Its stupid considering OPEN OFFICE is open source and almost COMPLETELY compatible with ms office, and considering most people only want ms office for powerpoint junk emails and microsoft word, and have no need for compatability anyway its ludacris. Make sure you UPDATE JAVA when it asks you to. Dont install the toolbar with the java update.

KLITE mega codec pack. A codec pack that takes care of all the random codecs your going to need over time.

Do all your MICROSOFT UPDATES. Set your updates to "Notify you but NOT to download and install automatically" This will stop the random annoying shutdowns after an update.

Dont install ANYTHING By google other than mabey google earth. Google is the godfather of spyware. They make no secret of it either. DO use google search engine though. (but not the google toolbar... because we dont install toolbars.... right?)

Windows live essentials. UNCHECK everything EXCEPT live mail, photos, movie maker and messenger. You dont want the rest of that junk. Especially the TOOLBAR.

IF YOU USE YAHOO MESSENGER... Install it via the CUSTOM option and make sure to UNCHECK everything except the messenger. this is another chance to bypass a TOOLBAR.

Go to YOUTUBE.CA and try to watch a video, you cant, click the link it provides for the fastest access to the adobe flashplayer installation site. UNCHECK the mcafee installation offer before installing. You ABSOLUTLY DO NOT want more than 1 scanner of ANY KIND running in real time. and we already have Avira or avg or avast... we dont need another. especially one that sucks as hard as mcafee.

On that note, DO NOT install ANYTHING BY Norton. Norton is the devil and will eat your cpu cycles faster than any malware or trojan i've ever seen.

Go to the "perfect disk" website. bite the bullet and BUY this defragger. It makes a big difference. DO NOT EVER USE the microsoft provided deframent utility. Install this and run it ONLY AFTER you've done everything else. and DO NOT use the realtime defrag option. just run it manually once a month or if you do alot of deleting.

when your done all that, go to your start menu, to the search field (formerly known as "run") and type in MSCONFIG press enter, you should get a window pop up, look at the tabs, choose the "startup" tab and UNCHECK EVERYTHING except for Antivir desktop (or avg / avast if your using them) and windows live messenger / yahoo messenger / skype (if you use these of course, if not, get rid of them) If you have a printer isntalled that put something in there, you DO NOT need to keep in there in order to make it work. uncheck it. also anything to do with APPLE. You'll see a tab called "services" there, DONT MUCK WITH THIS unless you know what your doing. even then, make sure you check the "hide microsoft services" field so you dont make mistakes. There is alot of performance to be gained by adjusting the serviices, however things can go very bad in there so its not worth the risk, unless you know what your doing...

And to end this...

DONT install ANY program that will scan ANYTHING in realtime, other than your virus scanner. Any program that scans in realtime will conflict with another program that scans in realtime, and since your virus scanner is already scanning in realtime (or should be) nothing else should be run. On this note, if your feeling adventurous and want to muck about int he services then DISABLE "Windows Search / Windows Defender / Superfetch as these all use your hard drive in realtime, slowing your system down. Windows defender is trumped by your virus scanner of choice and should be disabled.

CCleaner and the likes are only good for OLDER computers that have been running and abused for years. you should never need any program like this on a fresh install. and will likely only muck things up.

There is more I want to mention about IE, but i have to go for supper now. i'll mention it later.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old April 19, 2010, 06:51 PM
Rookie

amazing reply! thank you so much, sir! helped alot
Old April 19, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
Here is a list of programs I install in every computer I reformat.

Drivers.... throw away your motherboad driver disk. Go to your mobo / Gcard manufactures website for up to date drivers.

Something I should mention before you start installing things...

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS do the "CUSTOM" Installation option. Almost all free software on the net comes with "extras" that you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT like "toolbars" never never never never install a toolbar. So do the custom installation and UNCHECK anything that isnt what you wanted to install.

Avira antivirus ( better than those others people have mentioned, avg is annoying and avast must be "registered")

malware bytes ( the free version MUST be run MANUALLY every now and then. It doesnt have a real time scan.

Foxit reader ( install it with the "custom" option to avoid the "ask toolbar" and ebay desktop link.) Foxit reader is an alternative to ADOBE pdf reader. DO NOT install ANYTHING by adobe (other than flashplayer for youtube.) Adobe installs a huge amount of garbage. Did i mention that you should NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER install a toolbar?

Open Office. You have no idea how many people I see who pirate microsoft office and get upset when i tell them i wont install a pirated copy for them. Its stupid considering OPEN OFFICE is open source and almost COMPLETELY compatible with ms office, and considering most people only want ms office for powerpoint junk emails and microsoft word, and have no need for compatability anyway its ludacris. Make sure you UPDATE JAVA when it asks you to. Dont install the toolbar with the java update.

KLITE mega codec pack. A codec pack that takes care of all the random codecs your going to need over time.

Do all your MICROSOFT UPDATES. Set your updates to "Notify you but NOT to download and install automatically" This will stop the random annoying shutdowns after an update.

Dont install ANYTHING By google other than mabey google earth. Google is the godfather of spyware. They make no secret of it either. DO use google search engine though. (but not the google toolbar... because we dont install toolbars.... right?)

Windows live essentials. UNCHECK everything EXCEPT live mail, photos, movie maker and messenger. You dont want the rest of that junk. Especially the TOOLBAR.

IF YOU USE YAHOO MESSENGER... Install it via the CUSTOM option and make sure to UNCHECK everything except the messenger. this is another chance to bypass a TOOLBAR.

Go to YOUTUBE.CA and try to watch a video, you cant, click the link it provides for the fastest access to the adobe flashplayer installation site. UNCHECK the mcafee installation offer before installing. You ABSOLUTLY DO NOT want more than 1 scanner of ANY KIND running in real time. and we already have Avira or avg or avast... we dont need another. especially one that sucks as hard as mcafee.

On that note, DO NOT install ANYTHING BY Norton. Norton is the devil and will eat your cpu cycles faster than any malware or trojan i've ever seen.

Go to the "perfect disk" website. bite the bullet and BUY this defragger. It makes a big difference. DO NOT EVER USE the microsoft provided deframent utility. Install this and run it ONLY AFTER you've done everything else. and DO NOT use the realtime defrag option. just run it manually once a month or if you do alot of deleting.

when your done all that, go to your start menu, to the search field (formerly known as "run") and type in MSCONFIG press enter, you should get a window pop up, look at the tabs, choose the "startup" tab and UNCHECK EVERYTHING except for Antivir desktop (or avg / avast if your using them) and windows live messenger / yahoo messenger / skype (if you use these of course, if not, get rid of them) If you have a printer isntalled that put something in there, you DO NOT need to keep in there in order to make it work. uncheck it. also anything to do with APPLE. You'll see a tab called "services" there, DONT MUCK WITH THIS unless you know what your doing. even then, make sure you check the "hide microsoft services" field so you dont make mistakes. There is alot of performance to be gained by adjusting the serviices, however things can go very bad in there so its not worth the risk, unless you know what your doing...

And to end this...

DONT install ANY program that will scan ANYTHING in realtime, other than your virus scanner. Any program that scans in realtime will conflict with another program that scans in realtime, and since your virus scanner is already scanning in realtime (or should be) nothing else should be run. On this note, if your feeling adventurous and want to muck about int he services then DISABLE "Windows Search / Windows Defender / Superfetch as these all use your hard drive in realtime, slowing your system down. Windows defender is trumped by your virus scanner of choice and should be disabled.

CCleaner and the likes are only good for OLDER computers that have been running and abused for years. you should never need any program like this on a fresh install. and will likely only muck things up.

There is more I want to mention about IE, but i have to go for supper now. i'll mention it later.

Great post!!!
Old April 20, 2010, 04:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I'll take Avira over AVG anyday...BUT you DO have to "register" avira every year or it WILL stop working. I have also come acorss a couple systems that were slowed to a crawl by Avira's default setup (quad core, VRaptor beast systems and not single core wimpy systems eihter!). YMMV but Avira for more advanced users, MS Esentials for more basic users. Dont pay for AV software, use a free one and PAY the couple buck for Malwarebytes. Its real time scan WORKS. Mbytes + Avira/MSE is a great combo.

As for OO vs Word. Depends on what you plan on doing. You can get Word 2003 VERY cheaply. IMHO worth the invesment as OO is NOT ready for primetime...especially when trying to open a .doc (or god help you a docX file!) your friend emails you.

I like Sumatra PDF for pdf readers. Light fast and open source.
I like PDFwriter or PDFcreator for PDF creation via "pdf printer". Just remember to UNCHECK the toolbar that asks to be installed, in the case of PDFcreator it asks TWICE.

Older Norton products did indeed suck. The newer one is OK at best (ie is MEH) but w/ free programs out there...why pay for the same or worse performance?

Other than that I agree w/ tzetsin's comments.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; April 20, 2010 at 04:59 AM.