Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2010, 07:50 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Unstable i7 920 @ stock speed...

My i7 920 in my sig was running @ 4ghz @ 1.3V full stable (bigadv folding for about a month) I bought a 980x to put in the main rig.

Now I'm building a second rig with my good "old" i7 920, so I bought another motherboard and memory on this forum. Putting it all together with an OCZ powerstream 520w PS. (the PS was working real nice on a Q6600 rig on sig)

So now there goes problems..... I'm unable to running it stable @ stock speeds In fact, I even unable to install windows on it. First I was thinking it was memory, so I did a 4hours memtest and everythings ok. So is anyone thinking of something else to test to find the culprit? could it be the motherboard? or is the power supply too old for a core i7 rig? (it has the 8pins cpu plug, but I find it much more noisy than before on the Q6600 rig)

I'm really lost on this!

Thanks in advance
Old April 13, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

put back orginagle chip to update your bios for 980x chip, then replace 980x
Old April 13, 2010, 10:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

Probably the psu is the culprit... I'd try swapping that out first with a know good one... If it's making noise it's probable going to crap out soon.
Old April 14, 2010, 03:51 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
put back orginagle chip to update your bios for 980x chip, then replace 980x
I'm not having trouble with the 980x, but the 920.....
Old April 14, 2010, 05:32 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Although those old OCZ Powerstream PSUs were good in their day, they are not really ideal for modern systems. I'd suspect it as well. If you have another you can test with, I would start there.
Old April 14, 2010, 05:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

your only solution is to trouble shoot part per part - this is usually the only way to get the thing right. You already took the Memory out of the equation with a good test. I would also clear the cmos, to make sure settings are back to bone stock. And then, eleminate hadware trouble one by one.

If you think it is the psu, just swap it with the one that is powering the I7 980 and try to install windows. (or I can sell you a thermaltake 850 watts modular PSU !)

Then rince and repeat with the hard drive, gpu and finally the mobo if you can, this is really the only full proof way to troubleshoot.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old April 14, 2010, 06:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

If the CPU isn't getting enough juice, that would explain the stability problems.

You have a method to check though, replace the psu in your 920 system with the one in your 980 system. See if that helps.
Old April 14, 2010, 04:23 PM
MVP
F@H

Switched power supply and still got the same problem ... any other ideas folks?
Old April 14, 2010, 05:12 PM
shaw

Motherboards don't supply the voltage all in the same manner. One chip stable in one may not be necessary stable in the other.
How does it crash?
Typically if it's the motherboard, then a simple raise in VNb usually fixes the problem. Make sure your ram runs at speed and volts spec.
Old April 14, 2010, 05:29 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw View Post
Motherboards don't supply the voltage all in the same manner. One chip stable in one may not be necessary stable in the other.
How does it crash?
Typically if it's the motherboard, then a simple raise in VNb usually fixes the problem. Make sure your ram runs at speed and volts spec.
Like title says, I'm not even overclocking it.

System act strange, reboot during windows installation (not the normal reboot)

I think I will try another hard disk now....