Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2010, 02:47 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default bsod on windows load screen

so i got the main parts for my computer today and i tried getting it going but when i get to the xp load screen i get a bsod. i am using a hard drive off my old intel machine and my new computer is amd i read that this would be a problem. also i read that all i have to do to fix the problem is do a repair with the windows cd but i dont have it. so im wondering if i should just wait till the hard drive comes in (it was sent in a different shipment) and try to do a fresh install of windows or if something else might be wrong. to my knowledge everything is fine it just wont boot right now. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 7, 2010, 02:59 PM
Banned
F@H

if you have an empty partition drop linux or run off a live cd till your new drive comes, if you are afraid to lose datat on old hdd
Old April 7, 2010, 04:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

i dont care about losing data i just want to get this thing going so i can be sure eveything works and my old computer just died so i only have my ps3 to use for the internet..
Old April 7, 2010, 04:42 PM
Banned
F@H

well you need to install an os.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

alright ill see if i can find a os disc around here somewere, if not i guess im buying windows seven :)
Old April 7, 2010, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

boot in safe mode then go to my computer properties, user profiles and DELETE your confriguration. reboot still in safe mode with network option
get all your current drivers for correct hardware and unzip them if are zipped
place in a folder
reboot....now system will see your amd/nvidia chipsets then point to your drivers folder you just made

Last edited by KaptCrunch; April 7, 2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:11 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
boot in safe mode then go to my computer properties, user profiles and DELETE your confriguration. reboot still in safe mode with network option
get all your current drivers for correct hardware and unzip them if are zipped
place in a folder
reboot....now system will see your amd/nvidia chipsets then point to your drivers folder you just made

i couldn't even get into the os in safe mode.. but i found an os disk and i am currently updating the drivers thanks for the help :)
Old April 8, 2010, 11:13 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Boot into recovery mode. Go into the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder and delete intel*.* Reboot.
Old April 8, 2010, 01:10 PM
Top Prospect

Put your hard drive back in the old computer boot it up and use a program to grab the license key. Download windows on a torrent, and try a fresh install with the old key. Only problem is your going to clean out the drive before you validate the key. With windows XP keys are not interchangable with different versions ie: Regular, OEM, Upgrade, etc..