Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2010, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default major issues

well like i mentioned in my other post my pc crashed yadda yadda yadda i came to the conclusion my hd was gone cause i couldn't get it reformatted at all everythng would just freeze. so i went out and bought a new wd caviar green hd. when i first went to install windows on it i was gettin an error and it wouldn't format with my win7 so i tried xp and after 2 attempts i get it done. I get everything done all my drivers bla bla bla done.I leave and come back about 2 hrs later and its down again. everytime i try to reboot it gets to the windows bootup screen then i get the blue screen of death and then it reboots again. keeps doin this over and over. So im guessing its not my HD. what would be causin this? would it be my ram? I have it done again and its been up and running for about 2 hrs now but its not runnin smooth like it should. everytime i open something click on something there's always a delay before it does anything....
Old April 6, 2010, 08:57 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Hang on a tick... Both Windows 7 and Windows XP both failed formatting? On a new hard drive?

I'd say test the drive in a different system if you can. If it passes, that means you have a Sata controller problem on the motherboard, which means it may be time to RMA it.

Hope it helps.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

i couldn't get win7 on but did get xp on it...i already sent off my wd caviar blue rma cause i thought that was the prob so while i waited to get my rma back i bought a new one and im havin the same prob...my mobo is a gigabyte and is less then 3 mths old. i have another system i could check on but it has no cpu in it and i don't think the mobo will take my cpu from this mobo. the other one i have is a crappy compaq pc with an asus mobo lol
Old April 6, 2010, 06:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Try changing the SATA mode in the BIOS to IDE/Legacy, RAID, or AHCI. One of them may work.
Old April 6, 2010, 08:34 PM
Banned
F@H

ubcd is your best frend. ran memtest and hd test and see what gives. before that drop everest in there and look up temps and what not...:)
Old April 6, 2010, 08:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

queue the silly question:

you are not overclocked are you?