Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Annoying Video Problem? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/30642-annoying-video-problem.html)

ImmaPC April 4, 2010 07:16 PM

Annoying Video Problem?

This started awhile ago but I sort-of ignored it for along time, now it's coming back and hitting me in the face so to speak.

About three weeks ago I dual-booted WinXP/Win7 on this i7 machine and installed drivers for everything on both OS's. Everything works out but GTA San Andreas likes to crash with a black screen and with a half second clip of a sound repeating over and over again. Ctrl-Alt-Del is no-go, only way to use my machine again is to restart. If I look through the fan grills I notice there's this little red light on the back of my 4850 which shows up.

I decided to ignore it but the other day I was playing some G-Mod (or was it HL2) and the damn thing did it again, which it does all the time now with both games as well as GTA San Andreas. I DL'ed GPU-Z and this issue is NOT due to overheating. Also, GTASA, HL2 and G-Mod are the only 3 games which it does this with, but I find it hella annoying since I particularly like 'em... :sad:

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

1. Reinstalled video card drivers
2. Tested video card in new system
3. Reinstalled games
4. Reinstalled OS's, then drivers, then games
5. Tested in open-air to prevent possible overheating.

And still no dice. Any ideas?

jcmaz April 4, 2010 08:20 PM

Did you reinstall the sound drivers from the CD for each of the OS?

ImmaPC April 4, 2010 08:26 PM

No, but it's not the sound that messes up by itself, it's like the video drivers get screwed and then they somehow screw up the audio? I dunno I may be completely talking out my ass but I'm in that fed up, frustrated mood where I'm like OKAY WTF IS WRONG NOW??? :angry2::angry2::sad::sad:

mo' power April 4, 2010 08:27 PM

I used to have similar problems with HL2 and a few other games and found out it was messed up game files. Reinstalling my games solved the problem for me.

jcmaz April 4, 2010 08:35 PM

Maybe try an old set of video card drivers?

sswilson April 4, 2010 08:59 PM

Did you try setting the fanspeed manually to 100% for testing purposes? GPU-Z doesn't tell the whole story, sometimes it's VRMs overheating rather than GPU.

ImmaPC April 4, 2010 09:42 PM

Gonna try troubleshooting on XP from now on, just cos I trust XP more when it comes to drivers vs. Windows 7

@sswilson, jcmaz: Will try your suggestions. 9.6 drivers perhaps? I'm gonna get RivaTuner too, maybe if I underclock my GPU...

Lpfan4ever April 4, 2010 09:45 PM

I was having this issue as well with my other computer's 4870. I was using the 10.2 drivers, but upgrading to 10.3 completely fixed the issue for me so far.

ImmaPC April 4, 2010 10:20 PM

I didn't know there was 10.3 out! :doh:

As it turns out I believe it's an overheating problem. With the card not OC'ed, core at 600MHZ and memory at 950, this card, under load (Gmod completely maxed out) was running at temps exceeding 90C, sometimes breaking 100 if I was doing something particularly intensive.

So no more building stacks of stuff and then shooting bombs with thrusters attached to the back at them. I'll see what applying the last of my MX-2 can do. As far as that goes this card is gonna be replaced soon anyway, so meh.

jcmaz April 5, 2010 08:39 AM

What card?