Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2010, 09:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default problemss... HELP!!!

Hey guys,

My computer is having these weird problems when I play games... i reapplied TIM for CPU (pea method), put on fresh thermal pads for the mosfets.... fresh TIM for the NB and SB.... air blow everything for dust...... and it's still happening... when i play MW2, the screen would sometimes freeze (quite often; every 3 minutes)... then when i play nba2k10, my computer restarts itself....

then i tried to google. first think struck my mind is the directx that i have... i tried dxdiag... and it says my system is using directx 11?????? my video card is gtx 275 sc.... so i dont think it can run directx 11.. maybe it installed when i was installing my games.... but does that matter??? do i need to rollback to directx 10 or 9c??? will that solve my problem?

Thanks,.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Dude how are your temps ?
Old April 1, 2010, 09:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you get blue screens when you restart and/or when it freezes. Have you heard any clicking noises lately, your hard drive could be going. Also do you know the temperatures of your GTX 275 SC when you're gaming too, it may be overheating.

I recommend downloading/runnig Real Temp (or Core Temp) and EVGA Precision and monitor the temperatures when you game. You will even be able to manually increase/set the fan speed on your gpu since typically they are set by default to around 40% and sometimes never really ramp up when the temps on the gpu get too high.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Dude how are your temps ?
Temps for my cpu or gpu? well... when i use OCCT GPU test, the gpu was around 80C.....
BUT... and this was before i reapply TIM and thermal pads, occt screenshot reported 90C for one of the cpus (see previous thread in this subforum).... after i reapplied TIM and pads, i prime95'd it for 2 hours and cpu in coretemp reading was not even 60C @3ghz OC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Do you get blue screens when you restart and/or when it freezes. Have you heard any clicking noises lately, your hard drive could be going. Also do you know the temperatures of your GTX 275 SC when you're gaming too, it may be overheating.

I recommend downloading/runnig Real Temp (or Core Temp) and EVGA Precision and monitor the temperatures when you game. You will even be able to manually increase/set the fan speed on your gpu since typically they are set by default to around 40% and sometimes never really ramp up when the temps on the gpu get too high.
It just restarts itself..... screen went blank in a sudden.... yes clicking noise...... hummmmm hdd??? but it works fine when i m not playing games.... i installed my games in VR300gb partition... my OS is in the VR too..... i tried to install a game in other hdd and the same thing happened.......

what should i dooooooo???
Old April 1, 2010, 09:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Gaming is the most stressful thing your GPU and CPU do in regular use (besides Folding@Home). Try manually bumping your fan speed up on your GPU as suggested. I found my EVGA GTX260 SSC's fan profile not aggressive enough, and had similar problems at one time.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I just thought of something else to ask you, what is the current driver version you are running, this could be a possible factor as well.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

HUmmm......... ok i try to bump the fan speed at 100% let u guys know in 15mins
Old April 1, 2010, 09:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ok... no go.... just played 5 mins in mw2.................... heard the click noise then it freezes........... i had to shut down the game............ my hdd shot?????????? how do i check if my hdd is shot?
Old April 1, 2010, 09:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I just thought of something else to ask you, what is the current driver version you are running, this could be a possible factor as well.
using GPUZ... my driver is 196.21
Old April 1, 2010, 09:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

tried the WD data lifeguard... wont let me to select the VR!......................