Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2010, 09:02 AM
Top Prospect

Default Play video locally, stream audio wirelessly to another Windows PC

Hello,

I am looking for a way to playback video locally, but stream the audio to another computer's speakers.

The exact problem is that my laptop (IBM Thinkpad X60) is nice to carry around the house, but the speakers are very weak. It would be nice to watch the video on the Thinkpad screen, but send the audio to my Vista PC and consequently the house stereo system it is hooked up to.

Doing some research, I see that Airfoil for Mac (Rogue Amoeba | Airfoil | Select Your Operating System) seems to do the trick, and their Windows version does too for $25.

Apple Airport Express Client Player (http://raop-play.sourceforge.net/) is the linux solution.

Can't seem to find a opensource or free Windows-based solution.

Any ideas?
Old March 27, 2010, 05:23 PM
HaDeS

Try remote desktop connection. You can send the audio to which ever PC you want. It's free and comes with windows.

In my experience with audio / video via the network... wireless simply doesn't have enough bandwidth to transfer any kind of HD content. Albeit I haven't tried any of the NEW wireless gear but then I'm a wired kinda guy.
Old March 27, 2010, 11:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

he only wants to transfer audio (plenty of bandwidth)
RDC wouldn't do that trick. audio is dumbed down and compressed horribly
Old March 27, 2010, 11:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bluetooth if they are in the same room (I think), Two Dongalls or even Bluetooth head phones
Old March 28, 2010, 02:27 PM
HaDeS

If he is playing the video off the PC connected to the tv and running the audio off it locally and the video remotely it might work. There wouldn't be any audio compression. You've not read his orginal post closely enough... I know it will do this because I've played around with it a little. The difference was I was on a wired network and I honestly didn't spend enough time to see if it was out of sync.

The audio is meant to be played off his media computer via the household speaker system that is connected to the media computer and the visual was meant to be played on the laptop screeen so no audio would be coming through and there shouldn't be compression of any kind.

A friend of mine pulled this off for his whole house but he was using mythtv and PXE booting with the laptops to watch whatever he wanted remotely. Apprently it worked really well but difficult to setup and configure.
Old March 28, 2010, 02:56 PM
Rookie

Maybe VLC media player?

VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player