Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Waldie, which stress tests have you tried running? (I only see Varroa's posts that state stress tests).
I wouldn't put much trust into strange numbers that Windows resource monitor is putting out - does "System" ever have an instantaneous CPU usage of over 100%? (I see 0 CPU and >100 average CPU which mathematically doesn't make sense).

Some of my thoughts about this are the following:
  1. Some program or device driver that you're using is bugged (since you probably would've reinstalled everything you used to have). This is a hard one to rule out especially when some uninstallers don't actually work, but it's something to keep in mind.
  2. Your hard drive is having problems, which may also explain why problems crop up as the install gets "older"; see if any values or errors are flagged by SpeedFan or your hard drive manufacturer's test program
  3. CPU / Motherboard / RAM / Video card, although this is less likely because your Windows install would've been corrupted at the very start: Run stress tests on each if you haven't done so already. I'd recommend OCCT Linpack with "Large" data set or Prime95 Blend test to hit the CPU and memory at the same time, or Memtest86+ to test exclusively the memory.
Looks like all of the programs I recommended are already listed
Overclocking tools of the trade
Old April 27, 2010, 12:46 PM
HaDeS

There is a program you can run that gives you a text read out of ALL Your processes etc... the name of it has completely slipped my mind. You'll need to post that here. I'm guessing if you are experiencing the lockups again it must be one of the software programs you've re-installed. Some software have memory leaks which will cause these problems. I reckon you've gone about this the wrong way and not taken more time to isolate the problem. Using an imaging software to save a fresh install would save you loads of time figuring this out.
Old April 27, 2010, 03:02 PM
Top Prospect

Make sure you don't have any screws loose!
Old April 28, 2010, 07:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
There is a program you can run that gives you a text read out of ALL Your processes etc..
Are you talking about HijackThis? I've seen HijackThis logs posted around in different forums, but I haven't used it myself (which is why I didn't post a link to it).
Old April 28, 2010, 09:27 AM
HaDeS

yes thats the one thanks!
Old April 28, 2010, 04:34 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldie View Post
now it's back. It's causing my CPU usage to sometimes go up to hundreds of percent usage, which I did not even realize was possible (obviously shouldn't be).
With Task Manager (Processes tab), you can sort the processes according to CPU usage (click on the header), that should tell you which process is spiking CPU usage.

Have you looked at the Windows logs (eventvwr.msc) to see if there're any clues there too?
Old April 29, 2010, 10:39 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Ok, so I think the problem is fixed, at least for the time being. I hadn't checked back here until now, sorry(out of sight out of mind I guess). I'm not an overclocker, so I hadn't run any stress tests, not sure how to do them. I did come across a troubleshooting forum that recommended opening Event Viewer, which is a program that I had never used before. Anyway, it listed nvstor as the source of the errors, which turns out to be related to sata controllers for the nForce boards. So I downloaded the driver package for my board from nVidia, installed it, and it's been fine since.

It sort of makes sense, since I used to have the RC, and had installed all the drivers right after I built my computer. Never had any problems on the RC. Then had to install the full Windows 7 after the deadline passed for the full use of the RC. I guess I had forgotten to install all the drivers that I needed. The only thing I don't understand is why it took a few weeks after installing Windows 7 to start screwing up, and then I reinstalled and it took a week, and then I reseated my cards and memory in the motherboard and it took three weeks to start messing up again.

Installing the driver package completely cleared up the problem for now, I just don't know why it would take so long to be a problem, or why reseating hardware would cause it to be ok for a while.
Old April 30, 2010, 01:52 AM
HaDeS

wow you mean the event viewer actually helped? el oh el.