Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2010, 10:44 PM
MVP

Default Odd network issue

There are several of us on a home network, using Dlink 655 all wired, I double check once in a while and we are definitely the only IPs the router is showing (besides the fact that I have the wireless covered using WPA2 I like to make sure someone else didnt mess with the settings)

While I am using uTorrent, the other 2 have issues with their respective MMO (WoW for one FlyForFame for the other). They crash out and while playing they have a fair bit of lag. My computer has no issues. I also have uTorrent set up to use at max 1/3 of the highest bandwith I managed to squeeze out of it in some tests. Even when I am nowhere near my max I still seem to cause them issues.

While they are using torrent programs nobody has any issues and everything runs smooth.

Any idea of why this is? The only real difference between our computers is theirs are a few years old... but even so when I am not running uTorrent it works great for them.
Old March 20, 2010, 10:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well the first thing is you're actually/probably squeezing the upload speed more then the download as it is significantly smaller then our download speeds. A hit in that can cause peoples' latency/lag to increase exponentially. What is your download/upload speeds anyways?
Old March 20, 2010, 11:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Torrenting uses a lot of connections and a lot of bandwidth. Too many packets going through the router means it takes longer for anything to get anywhere, so online games will lag, as will internet browsing (though you may not notice it depending on how much downloading is going on). Even when bandwidth usage is down, the number of connections means that there will still be lag. The only thing you can do about it is compromise with regard to when you download and when your roommates play their games. uTorrent has a built-in scheduler, so if you guys can figure out a schedule for when you can download and when they can play, it's easy to set things up so they'll work automatically.
Old March 21, 2010, 12:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't u-torrent also have the ability to limit the # of connections? That'd be the first thing I'd be scaling back.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 21, 2010, 12:32 AM
MVP

I tried reducing the number of connections and still no go. Also remember they can run their own torrent programs without issues as well my computer never has issues.

I have my download/upload set to 500kb/30kb, most I managed to squeeze out of the connection was 2mb download through steam (it was a good night, usually caps at 1.5) and 100kb ish upload through uTorrent while downloading 150kb ish, when the download ramped up it stayed around 65kb upload. I based my limits on my own tests because I realize what they say and what you get can vary a lot.
Old March 21, 2010, 02:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd bet my undies it's # of connections related. Bandwidth related problems are straight forward and he wouldn't be asking for help right now.

Basically, gaming opens up a couple of ports, not really that much. A router has no problem using those ports.

Torrenting however, uses up a lot of ports. Simply put, it uses a port and when done jumps to the next available port. The port that is done with now sits open until it times out. Problems arise when you are in an active torrent "swarm". You can have so many connections open up that the router runs out of available ports to use before the used ones close and are available again.

If # of connections isn't cutting it then is it possible that your router has TCP timeout settings? That setting allows you to tell those open stagnant ports to timeout sooner so they are available for the next round of connections.

I'm unfamiliar with Dlink firmware.... think I've only messed with a couple.

From what I've read up the router you have like around 250 to 300 max connections total (so up & down)

If that doesn't work, if QOS is on then try it with it off... by configuring your torrent client you're essentially doing your own QOS anyway. I could be that the QOS engine absolutely can't handle incoming connections like that. Maybe even try disabling QOS first...

Are you running the newest firmware?
Old March 21, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agafaba View Post
using Dlink
I found the issue.
Old March 21, 2010, 01:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thats not the issue LarkStarr, i have been running with dlink for years now and dont run into these issues at different locations with different internet connections. He is saturating his upload causing lag for those playing mmo's. I've seen this happen before, he needs to either buy a faster net connection or back off the upload speed more.

uTorrent 2.0 (which is in alpha/beta) helps avoid some of these issues with its new protocols and controls but you still have to worry about saturating your upload speed.

Edit: I still want to know what your paid for upload/download speeds are, you gave me your download 2Mbps, whats your upload?
Old March 21, 2010, 03:45 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
uTorrent 2.0 (which is in alpha/beta)
The final version was released a while ago. It's no longer in beta.
Old March 21, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Thats not the issue LarkStarr, i have been running with dlink for years now and dont run into these issues at different locations with different internet connections. He is saturating his upload causing lag for those playing mmo's. I've seen this happen before, he needs to either buy a faster net connection or back off the upload speed more.

uTorrent 2.0 (which is in alpha/beta) helps avoid some of these issues with its new protocols and controls but you still have to worry about saturating your upload speed.

Edit: I still want to know what your paid for upload/download speeds are, you gave me your download 2Mbps, whats your upload?

I believe he said he was limiting his upload to 30K/sec.

He should be fine after that if it was bandwidth related.... 512kbit is 64K/sec so should be enough, I would think.

I can't imagine him having a connection giving less than 512kbit