Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2010, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've always had this problem. Trying to connect to numerous computers at once and checking to see if they're still connected can use up a lot of bandwidth. Utorrent only uses one port, but a lot of bandwidth on it. I think that goes for any Torrent application. Just don't download when they're playing.
Old March 21, 2010, 09:05 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I've always had this problem. Trying to connect to numerous computers at once and checking to see if they're still connected can use up a lot of bandwidth. Utorrent only uses one port, but a lot of bandwidth on it. I think that goes for any Torrent application. Just don't download when they're playing.
My current solution , but I love computers and am curious by nature so I had to hear from people more educated then myself.

Also as far as what they tell me... it seems Cogeco doesnt tell residential customers the upload speed anymore :/
Right from their website:
Quote:

High Speed Internet Standard Get a great Internet experience. This package is perfect for downloading pictures, files and music quickly and easily.

• Download speed of up to 14 Mbps
  • Data transfer capacity of 60 GB per month
  • FREE access to over 450 Cogeco Wi-Fi hotspots
  • Professional installation
  • Includes a complete suite of security services to protect your PC against Internet threats!
Starting at $39.95 per month for 12 months
Old March 21, 2010, 09:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and link us the results (i'm more curious in the upload then download but good to see both)
Old March 22, 2010, 12:05 AM
HaDeS

Ok well here's my experience with routers and torrenting. Off the shelf (best buy or futureshop) routers like dlink and linksys (i've owned 2 of each) All 4 are dead from torrenting. The last bout with torrenting and the linksys router it died within the 1st hour of pulling it out of the box (true story). Your problem is intresting in that you don't seem to have any issues with them downloading so if it is possible I'd like for you to try something. Your ISP should allow 2 external IPs. Put a switch after the modem and run one wire to the router and one to your computer and try torrenting with a direct connect then check to see if it's still affecting your flatmates gaming. If it is here are a couple more options i'm sure you've already looked into.

Utorrent has options for download / upload at certain times of the day so you could try setting your torrenting accordingly. Zero pointed this out. Personally I find it rude to torrent on networks other people are using at the same time. As someone else suggested you'll need to substantially reduce the amount of clients connecting to you which will reduce download speeds. Off the shelf routers have only a certain amount of memory to handle simultanious connections most of your 50-100 dollar routers simply don't have the horse power to handle all the connections. For that reason you may want to consider using pfsense or another linux based router on an ultra cheap computer. Hell an old pentium 2 or 3 will run a router better than any best buy linksys. These computers can be purchased at any used computer shop for next to nothing it won't take you too long to figure out how to configure it and I promise you it won't screw up like the dlink ;-)
Old March 22, 2010, 03:04 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Ok well here's my experience with routers and torrenting. Off the shelf (best buy or futureshop) routers like dlink and linksys (i've owned 2 of each) All 4 are dead from torrenting. The last bout with torrenting and the linksys router it died within the 1st hour of pulling it out of the box (true story). ... I promise you it won't screw up like the dlink ;-)
I have never heard of torrenting killing a router =/
BUT it is certainly possible that if the manufacturer didn't provide a proper cooling solution (heatsink, even a fan), alot of connections / heavy load causing overheating and eventual death (or just freezes and discolored plastic if the router was white)
Old March 22, 2010, 10:48 AM
MVP

There is a speed test result for you, and I wouldnt be surprised if torrenting did kill a router that had most of the cooling holes blocked or extremely poor ventilation (or one that has heating issues regardless). the 655 stays quite warm, but I have always left it out in the open so it would never get too hot.

The D-link has always worked well for me, but I still want to try out pfsense. Not the greatest time for myself to buy anything, but in a month or 2 I will have to check it out.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:50 AM
HaDeS

Last I checked the standard wired/wireless linksys routers had 8 megs of ram I looked around for this dlink655 extreme wireless router and couldn't find out it's memory size. I can't imagine it being much more than 8megs. Suffice to say if you constantly overload these cheap routers with thousands of connections they will eventually have permanent irreversable connectivity damage done to them. All be it I am the type to do at least 1:1 ratio and would have multiple torrents going at the same time. The last linksys would reset itself every 10-15 minutes killing the network and any connections to the internet in the process.

Just sayin....
Old March 22, 2010, 11:00 AM
HaDeS

Are you able to try out the switch option?