Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2010, 02:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Monitor, motherboard or gfx card going bad?

I'm having a bugger of a time trying to figure this out but here it is:

My monitor seems to be going 'out of sync' (green light blinks on/off and no picture) at random times when coming out of sleepmode or after being turned off or on occassion when starting a program. I did a bit of research and found that the Evga 285 GTX had a similar problem which was dubbed the 'black screen of death'. I RMA'd the card and moved my 8800 GT card in as replacement while it was gone and it would do it on occassion as well but not with the frequency with the 285 GTX. I turned off the power saving settings within windows and this seemed to have helped but I just got my 285 back and plugged it back in and this morning it was back to being 'out of sync'.

When it goes out of sync, the computer is still running and I have to shut the thing down and if I'm lucky it will boot back up with the screen working. I don't have another computer to plug the DVI from the monitor (just a laptop with VGA slot).

I'm wondering if the monitor is going or if I have a bad PCIe slot?

my rig specs are listed next to my name

Last edited by Jaeger_CDN; March 15, 2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old March 16, 2010, 01:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It could be one of a few problems. Try swapping your monitor with one from a friend or a family member. If that's not the problem, it could be a psu or a board problem. Let's see what other members here think.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old March 16, 2010, 10:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

The PSU is maybe 3.5 months old, I'm just wondering if a PCIe slot can go bad like that?

The silentpro is a modular PSU and I have the 285 running from both dedicated PCIe rails.

I'd love to test the monitor but I have no other machines that use DVI inputs (at home or at work).
Old March 16, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

At this point you need to try and isolate the problematic component, not easy, but perhaps you can have a Computer Store (local ma n pop) outfit help you out by supplying additional parts.
- Try another monitor but very doubtful its the monitor (Have you tried both DVI outputs on the 285?)
- Try GPU in another Rig......(highly unlikely the problem as you've tried it now with different GPUs)
- Try another PSU (I've had to RMA a brand new Corsair PSU) - this is what I would suspet, either the PSU or the Mobo.....PSU test is easy, just get one from ma n pop and give it a whirl...

The above 3 troubleshoots are easy enough...just need the "ma n pa shop" to help you out a bit....the Mobo swap is the last straw, but in the event the other 3 items above are fine, this is likely the culprit.

Once you can determine that it isn't any of the above...then move onto the Mobo......it sucks, but its the way it is....this is why I never sold my 2nd Rig, its always handy having "spare working parts" kicking around.

Forgot mention: If your CPU is OC'd, go back into BIOS Reset everything to default, reboot, then shutdown the Rig and reset CMOS, give that a whirl 1st before tearing apart, also ensure your running the latest n greatest BIOS version, you just may get lucky

Last edited by rjbarker; March 16, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old March 16, 2010, 04:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You can also use an adaptor on the GFX Card to use VGA monitors on it.
To me this sounds like a Monitor with Bad Caps in it as Green and blinking means signal but SLeep mode (On most monitors) where as Amber indicates no Signal.

My thoughts at least.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 16, 2010, 09:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Had this problem on an Asus motherboard...did the same basic thing. Monitor went goofy every once and a while. After alot of switching parts...and I mean alot. The first vid card change solved it for a while...? Turned out I had 1 cap that was swelled...guess it had to do with the power to the PCI-E slot. If it is the motherboard it is hard to prove sometimes. I would also try a different PSU and see what happens.
Side note...for the fun of it I would clear you vid driver out with drivercleaner or the like...and reinstall a diff version....just in case.

Also when you try any trouble shooting...always unplug or dissable everything in your computer you do not need to make it run. In this case ..no sound, not dvd\cd, 1 case fan, 1 stick of ram, 1 HD...if you don't need it..unplug it.
Old March 17, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

i have to agree with soultribunal moniter error
Old March 18, 2010, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
To me this sounds like a Monitor with Bad Caps in it as Green and blinking means signal but SLeep mode (On most monitors) where as Amber indicates no Signal.

ST
Yes sir !

Having had to fix BOTH of my monitors for this , I know.

Amber is actually 'standby' on my monitors....when mine went tits up , the went into flashing green....but the problem sounds identical.

I'd say it's the monitor too.

Do you have any soldering skills ? If so you can fix it yourself for about 6 bux.

Here's my original thread about this :
My LCD monitor has gone black/won't come out of standby

Old March 18, 2010, 08:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you connected through vga, dvi or hdmi? If its vga you may also have a 'dirty' cable, you'll need to clean the pins carefully
Old March 19, 2010, 03:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm using the DVI connection.

I've picked up a new monitor (samsung 2494SW) the other day and set it up but haven't had the time to play around with it yet (my other weekend project). I set it up last night and put the power control settings back on in windows for the monitor and the couple times I've checked it seems to switch on from sleepmode with no problems.

If the problem starts up again I'll have to take my rig to the local computer shop for testing but I'd rather not if I can help it since they aren't the sharpest pencils in the box.