Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2010, 12:03 AM
Rookie

Default RMA: What are my options?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but there it is:

When I searched for help on Direct Canada on the internet it directed me to this forum.

I'm building a new rig for my little sister. She ordered the parts from Direct Canada. I dealt with them a few times before and never got any problems.

We got the parts a few days ago. After I removed the mobo packaging (Asus P5Q Pro Turbo) I noticed there were 3 or 4 damaged (bent?) pins on the cpu socket. I didn't think it was a big deal, just straightened them out with an empty draughting pen and a wooden toothpick and proceeded to build the rig anyway. I've read in a couple of places that people got their comp going even when missing some pins from the socket.

Well, I tried everything under the sun to get it going but it never even POSTed. It booted, the fans ran but it wouldn't even post. I removed and added components, ie vid card, ram, etc, cleared CMOS with the battery off and the jumper, etc etc. In short, I did the whole troubleshooting routine but to no avail. I tried all the other parts on another rig I have here and everything works fine, well, except the motherboard. I don't know if the problem lays with the damaged pins on the socket or something else but it's not working. I've already spent a couple of days trying to get this thing going and I was just getting frustrated.

Which brings me here. I removed the mobo, repackaged it and now would like to get a refund or get another one sent. I've just filled up a RMA form request on the DC site. Under the mobo page they mention something about bent pins not being covered on RMAs; however, that's the way I received the product, with a damaged LG775 socket. On the form, if "physical damage" is picked then they say they won't go for the RMA. I filled up the form anyway with the "physical damage" option left out but I wrote a bit of an explanation.

Besides that I don't know what to do!

Anybody ever deal with something like this?
Old March 1, 2010, 03:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well if the pin aren't looking to have been bent then your better option is to deal with Asus. Last time I add to deal with direct canada the only option they have give me was refund with 25% restocking fee for a DOA product..yeah wonderful so I deal with manufacturer. If the pin are looking bended then you have no other option, you will have to contact direct canada or asus and explain your problem. Direct will tell you user damage no more warranty, Asus could be alittle more open but be ready to pay for the repair at Asus that's a possibility. Personally I would try Asus first.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 1, 2010, 11:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I RMA'd my ASUS board (purchased thru Newegg) which had a bent CPU socket pin. I'm pretty sure I did not cause the damage but it was my word against theirs and they won. In the end I ended up paying about $120 for a replacement board which was about half price of buying thru retail. ASUS said they could not repair the board and would send a new one in it's place. Not too bad since the replacement came complete in original packaging as opposed to when I sent the board in for repair it was only the board by itself that needed to be submitted. About a 7 day turnaround for the whole ordeal.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old March 1, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^ this is not the first time i have heard this
Old March 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
Rookie

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Today, I checked for some response on the online RMA form I filled out last night on the DC site. Looks like they just deleted it without any kind of answer. Bummer!!!
Now, I'm not sure if I'll call them or go the Asus RMA route.
Old March 1, 2010, 02:35 PM
Rookie

Anybody knows how much it would cost to get the mobo socket changed. whether through ASUS or somewhere else?

Thanks.
Old March 1, 2010, 05:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I think it would be better to phone ASUS to arrange the RMA. As for the socket I'm not sure it's easily replaceable. As I mentioned in my earlier reply ASUS informed me it could not be replaced.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old March 22, 2010, 12:34 AM
HaDeS

This is where a digi cam comes in handy. When I RMA stuff I never tell them anything I just play stupid. Act smart enough that you've installed "1000 computers" dumb enough to not know why it won't post. Honesty gets you no where in the rma game. Good luck with the RMA though hopefully they help you out.