Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2010, 01:44 PM
Rookie

Default Hard drive not seen by windows/ can't assess the BIOS

Hello
I have two 200gb hard drives in my laptop and they were in raid 0.
For reliability reasons i wanted to disable to raid 0 and have the two drive operating normally.
So on boot i pressed ctrl + i to get into the raid menu and set the two drives to non-raid.
I then inserted the win7 premium disk in, rebooted, and installed win 7
during the install process i noticed that only one 200gb disk was avalible to install on, though nothing of it at the time.

Windows installs fine, but i can't see the second drive.
i go into the BIOS and it sees both drives, and then after boot up i go into the device manager and it sees both drives. I live with it for a few days installing updates and an antivirus (MSE) I decide the problem may lie in the BIOS but after i hit F2 nothing happens the laptop continues booting. F2 has woked before, so I am unsure what to do.

Thanks
Old March 1, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If Device Manager sees both drives then that likely means the second one is not initialized (e.g. no partition table on it.)
If you go to "Disk Management" under "Computer Management" it should ask you if you want to initialize the drive.

Step-by-step:
1. Click "Start", and type in Computer Management . You should be presented with the Computer Management window.
2. On the left-hand side tab, under "Storage", click on "Disk Management".
3. It should ask you if you want to initialize the other hard disk, and give you an option to select "MBR" or "GPT" table. Normally you want "MBR".
4. Find the now-initialized but not formatted disk. Right-click on the black bar (which represents the disk with nothing on it) and click "New Simple Volume".
5. Follow the steps to format and give a drive letter to the disk.

As for the F2 BIOS issue, "F2" worked before on THIS laptop or another computer? IIRC F2 to get to BIOS is a Dell thing, and other companies use F1, DEL, F10, etc. For my Dell laptop, I button-mash F2 (as if I am playing a fighting game) right as the laptop is starting up, and eventually the BIOS screen comes up.

Source:
How to Install and Initialize an Unformatted Hard Drive in Windows Vista and Windows 7