Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   HELP!! Poison Ivy Trojan removal! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/29227-help-poison-ivy-trojan-removal.html)

BobbyLou February 24, 2010 12:07 PM

HELP!! Poison Ivy Trojan removal!

Can't seem to get rid of this bugger, got it on my laptop somehow. My girlfriend was using it, so who knows. Any help? I've researched but all programs I use won't get rid of it. Seems to be pretty serious...:angry2:

CMetaphor February 24, 2010 12:10 PM

Try Dr.Web CureIt! Its free (but with a Nag screen) but works pretty darn well against most nasty viruses I've come across.

headsh0t February 24, 2010 12:57 PM

Malwarebytes?

Deviant February 24, 2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsh0t (Post 338823)
Malwarebytes?

Malwarebytes + Avira Free...

Just saying. But whenever my system has been compromised, I save whatever is necessary and reformat. How do you ensure the integrity of your system even after you've "cleaned" it and searched for it several times after the intrusion?

seedvt February 24, 2010 02:52 PM

+1 for format

This is why you always keep clean images of your system backed up

clone63 February 24, 2010 07:39 PM

ClamWin off a usb maybe?

Perineum February 24, 2010 11:22 PM

Bah, I never format. Formatting takes all the work out of it. I know people who format every couple of months and claim they can feel their computer "slow down" even after that time.

Err... ooookaay.... I've got installs that have run for years and have been upgrades of OS'es and they run just fine.

A little care in what you do and some TLC goes a long way.

crazyhorsejohnny February 25, 2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 339137)
Bah, I never format. Formatting takes all the work out of it. I know people who format every couple of months and claim they can feel their computer "slow down" even after that time.

Err... ooookaay.... I've got installs that have run for years and have been upgrades of OS'es and they run just fine.

A little care in what you do and some TLC goes a long way.

I format quite often and it never slows down my pc. Nothing better than a good clean install.

Jon_di2 February 25, 2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 339137)

Maybe their computers just suck :whistle:, although I can't see formatting every few months being necessary or even a good idea really.

I format as a last resort, but if a virus is being a pain, I vote for the reformat, not exactly sure why you want to cause more work for yourself like Perineum seems to want.

b1lk1 February 25, 2010 09:02 AM

Once infected, save important data and do a full hard 100% long format and fresh install. I have worked on PC's where a quick format did not kill the virus.