Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2010, 10:47 PM
MVP

Default First time builder needs help

Hello, I have recently put together a PC and I am having an issue.

When I plug the PC in the motherboard light turns on, and things look good, then I power on the PC and I immediately hear a strong whooshing sound which I have determined is my 5850 video card's fan at full speed. One of my aftermarket fans is working fine, but all the built in case fans are not, and the fan on my CPU heatsink is not either (I have a window). I also heard no post beep despite the fact I have the speaker plugged in.

So I am guessing that my wiring is to blame, I have followed guides so I was fairly certain it was all fine but I guess not. Here is the situation:

For my case fans they have these black connectors with 4 large pins and they seem to plug into each other and link up like a chain, so I have all my fans hooked up together, and at the end there is this bifurcated wire with two ends that has the tiny 4 pin connectors for my fan plugs on the motherboard. What I am trying to say is that I have all my case fans (5) drawing from (2) mobo plugs. This is just how it seemed to put together, I don't remember the fans each having their own tiny plug anyway, just the large one.

Also, do I need the long ribbon type wire that says hard drive? I see where it connects to the mobo but I don't see anywhere on my hard drive or optical drive for it to plug into.

Sorry if this is pretty vague, doing my best here.
Old February 22, 2010, 03:13 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

The long ribbon wire is either an IDE or floppy cable.

So unless you have a floppy drive or and old harddrive/cd drive, but they both should have SATA.
Old February 22, 2010, 04:25 AM
shaw

Take a picture of the whole assembly, and post it here. It will be easier to troubleshoot.
Old February 22, 2010, 05:28 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post

For my case fans they have these black connectors with 4 large pins and they seem to plug into each other and link up like a chain, so I have all my fans hooked up together, and at the end there is this bifurcated wire with two ends that has the tiny 4 pin connectors for my fan plugs on the motherboard. .
first I will suggest you go see someone with experience...

you can't plug all the molex ( large con.) together and after use one of the small connector of 1 of the fan to plug the fan assembly on the motherboard fan header, you use the big or the small, not both of them, if you want to keep all your molex plug together, you have to use 1 end and plug it to the power supply cable that fit there.

just forget the large flat cable it's for old ide drive
Old February 22, 2010, 05:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Generally video card fan are running at full speed until you isntall some driver so they can manage themselve. So I wont worry about that until all the other issue are done.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 22, 2010, 06:53 AM
MVP
F@H

Top priority is getting the CPU cooler wired properly. Double-check your manual. It should have a diagram of the PCB with the "CPU FAN" connector clearly marked. It won't boot up until you do.
Old February 22, 2010, 12:31 PM
MVP

Default Progress?

Ok, so I re-wired some things so now the situation is this:

Four of my case fans are interconnected with Molex, and now that wire goes to my PSU. My CPU fan is connected to the CPU fan header and starts spinning about 2 seconds after I press the power button. My final two case fans are connected to fan headers on the mobo, 1-1 ratio.

When I turn the power switch on my PSU on, the mobo lights up, but oddly so do my LEDs on the case fans, and two of them start spinning. When I press the power button all the fans turn on and my video card starts whooshing again. I still hear no POST sound. I also have one of those LCD POST displays and when I turn the PSU on it says "welcome" and then starts an elapsed time counter. When I turn the PC on the LCD post display just continues counting time, and there is no action on my monitor.

Here are some pictures, and I even did a video to illustrate my point better:

YouTube - MOV004.MOD

Attached Images

Old February 22, 2010, 12:48 PM
Banned
F@H

so it's an asus rog ... the little lcd is displaying the time, but it should not do it right now, only when windows boot, unless it have be set to do so in the bios

I suspect something wrong in the bios...unpower the pc, remove the battery on the motherboard ( may be under the GPU,) short the 2 connector on the battery holder with a screw driver , replace the battery and try again
Old February 22, 2010, 01:38 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
so it's an asus rog ... the little lcd is displaying the time, but it should not do it right now, only when windows boot, unless it have be set to do so in the bios

I suspect something wrong in the bios...unpower the pc, remove the battery on the motherboard ( may be under the GPU,) short the 2 connector on the battery holder with a screw driver , replace the battery and try again
That sounds a little complicated for me, and how could the BIOS be wrong right out of the box without me touching anything?
Old February 22, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
That sounds a little complicated for me, and how could the BIOS be wrong right out of the box without me touching anything?

Its a computer, it has a mind of its own. When you assume something cannot go wrong, it will. You should be able to google around and find plenty of step by step instructions that will assist you in building your computer. If in doubt go bribe your local computer guy (sandwiches and beer work great) for information. Patience grasshopper, troubleshooting leads to a better understanding of how things work.