Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2010, 04:24 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Ah sorry OP you are right we can see the cable coming from the upper left cable holes. Personally for your problem if resetting bios is not doing the job I would tell a DOA mobo, the power leak before power on are not normal.
he don't want reset the bios.

something is not clear here, 1 fan working on a fan header and the other on 1 molex with the pc shutdown..... look at the video imposible, I don't buy this...
Old February 22, 2010, 04:26 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
1 pull everything out of the case
2 setup on the box with only 1 stick of ram and make sure it's in what every slot the manual says to have it in and make sure the gpu is in the main pci-e slot
3 reset cmos
4 try to boot well press what every key it is to enter your bios.
jmo as always give it a shot and see what the hell is up
Assuming I do that and it works, where do I go from there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
he don't want reset the bios.

something is not clear here, 1 fan working on a fan header and the other on 1 molex with the pc shutdown..... look at the video imposible, I don't buy this...
The one fan that was not working was connected to a fan header directly. I have since changed that, the fan header goes into a molex adapter and links up with all the other fans. Now when I power on the PSU, all fans start spinning, except for the top one which lights up but does not spin.

My motherboard has a clrCMOS button at the back on the IO shield, and I pressed it but it did not help.
Old February 22, 2010, 04:29 PM
Banned
F@H

It's many members here who suggest a BIOS reset, why you just don't try it....
Old February 22, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well if the fan that was running when PC was of was connected to a fan header I think you have the answer, there is a power leak on your MOBO. Cmos have nothing to do with that. Do what gingerbee tell you to do then try all the fan header on the MOBO with some of your case fan to be sure it's doing the same trouble with all fan, if yes return where you get your mobo and get a replacement. Sorry to tell you this but after everything you tell us I think it's enough to diagnose the MOBO dead after the last few step I told you. I actually have my best friend P5K-e here doing the EXACT same thing.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 22, 2010, 04:40 PM
shaw

I'll restate: it is not normal for fans to spin as such when powering the PSU. OP, follow my advice. Something is wrong in your setup.

Or you have either a faulty PSU, or a faulty board.
Old February 22, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw View Post
I'll restate: it is not normal for fans to spin as such when powering the PSU. OP, follow my advice. Something is wrong in your setup.

Or you have either a faulty PSU, or a faulty board.
If fan plugged in any molex on the PSU are not turning when computer off but the one on the board do so the miobo is shorting the PSU and making some electricity coming in the fan.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 22, 2010, 04:50 PM
shaw

Hence why I mentionned in my reply on page 1 to remove everything from the case...

2 ways to have the fans spin as such: case grounding the board, or jump pins 4 and 6 of the 24 pins connector.
Old February 22, 2010, 04:54 PM
Banned
F@H

Martin look at the video, he said one is plug to the molex and the other to the fan header .... the 2 fans spin a long time before he push the power on button, the PSU is shut down at this moment ,.
Old February 22, 2010, 05:03 PM
shaw

OP wrote this:

Quote:
The one fan that was not working was connected to a fan header directly. I have since changed that, the fan header goes into a molex adapter and links up with all the other fans. Now when I power on the PSU, all fans start spinning, except for the top one which lights up but does not spin.

My motherboard has a clrCMOS button at the back on the IO shield, and I pressed it but it did not help.

Not enough amps leaking to have all the fans spinning.

They should not anyway.
Old February 22, 2010, 05:41 PM
MVP

Default Figured it out

I just got off the phone with ASUS, and they told me to disconnect everything from the PSU except the fans. I did this and flipped the PSU switch and the fans did nothing. I then plugged in the 24 pin power plug and my board lit up like a Christmas tree and all the fans started spinning. ASUS says that the board is dead and I should RMA it, so I think this is what I will do.