Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2010, 06:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Sigh... enough with the boys club attitude please. As far as I'm concerned a 140mm fan spinning at 2000 rpm; or whatever the max speed is, which creates more noise than I'm willing to deal with, is classified as screwed up PSU in my books. So in my humble opinion I am not off base and nothing other than folding would have caused the thermal sensor to stop functioning correctly. Should I just assume that it was faulty hardware and resume folding only to risk ruining another 300 dollar PSU? Folding can and will take a GPU to 100 percent and 80+ c if you choose not to control the fan settings on the vid card. That's not the way I roll... 80C+ vid card 24/7 is unacceptable to me and my apologies if you think it's stupid but that's my choice. The GPU was 500 dollars new... so I should risk possibly ruining 800 dollars worth of hardware for folding? Laff. I have a hard time believing a 300 dollar PSU brand new out of the box is defective or faulty but I don't deny that it isn't possible... Until folding cleans up their coding I won't sacrifice perfectly good hardware and a monster monthly power bill... I refuse to entertain the notion.

Hell you can have the folding tag back if you want it... i don't care.

On topic... glad it's workin properly again Rosco.

Thats Fine Mate, that is your choice. I cooked 1 piece of hardware (and it wasn't foldings Fault) in a folding Rig in over a year of doing it.
I've run GPU's and still have them running (GX2's) at 80 Degrees since ownership, and they have been run like that since they started Folding, without fail or fault.
And don't give me this hard believe things are DOA. It happens to all types of Hardware. It would have been no different than if you Ran Furmark or something that taxed your System and caused the default to become apparent.

Regardless its your Choice. I'll put in the request to remove your tag if you so choose. These choices are yours, and you want to believe what you want. I don't mind people who don't want to Fold. It is their Choice. ANd I am happy they can make it.

Myself, won't happen. Ever. Once Cancer has touched you my friend. It changes you forever.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 24, 2010, 08:58 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Sigh... enough with the boys club attitude please. As far as I'm concerned a 140mm fan spinning at 2000 rpm; or whatever the max speed is, which creates more noise than I'm willing to deal with, is classified as screwed up PSU in my books. So in my humble opinion I am not off base and nothing other than folding would have caused the thermal sensor to stop functioning correctly. Should I just assume that it was faulty hardware and resume folding only to risk ruining another 300 dollar PSU? Folding can and will take a GPU to 100 percent and 80+ c if you choose not to control the fan settings on the vid card. That's not the way I roll... 80C+ vid card 24/7 is unacceptable to me and my apologies if you think it's stupid but that's my choice. The GPU was 500 dollars new... so I should risk possibly ruining 800 dollars worth of hardware for folding? Laff. I have a hard time believing a 300 dollar PSU brand new out of the box is defective or faulty but I don't deny that it isn't possible... Until folding cleans up their coding I won't sacrifice perfectly good hardware and a monster monthly power bill... I refuse to entertain the notion.

Hell you can have the folding tag back if you want it... i don't care.

On topic... glad it's workin properly again Rosco.
You're free to have your opinion, but your assessment of what happened is wrong. If you choose not to fold because you don't like the load it puts on your hardware, then that is your choice. But the fact that your hardware failed while you happened to be folding at the time does not mean that folding was the cause of the failure.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:16 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Hades I would keep the tag as you have folded points for our team and we appreciate it!
Fold for team #54196
Old February 24, 2010, 04:06 PM
HaDeS

Zero drop it pal... I know your young and reasonably smart when it comes to hardware / computing etc. We are talking about brand new hardware fresh out of plastic and cardboard. My assesment of what happend is completely accurate. I had the computer together for litterally days when Braineater jumped all over me about folding and for the 1st week of it's life it folded non stop. The games I was playing simply don't use the GPU like folding does dude. If you think I wasn't using measurement software and keeping an EYE on the temps ALL the time your out to lunch. My room suite reaked of brand new hardware... REAKED!

It's not like i turned on folding and walked way from a completely BRAND NEW BUILD. Honestly I don't know why I'm arguing with you about this... I did my googling when I had a problem and found out that YES there are PSU's from corsair in the HX1000 series that have thermal sensor issues WHICH can be brought on from loading IE folding. Heavy long loading sessions or heavily loaded rails ETC ETC ETC ETC. No I'm not gonna go looking for any links because at this point its a dead issue to me problem solved. No more folding for this PSU. Period. I don't have a spare laying around that can run this rig... I reckon I'd need a min of 750 just to handle the boot up.

FYI from my reading on this PSU is more like dual 500w psu's than a single 1000w.

If you would like to keep a brand new 300 dollar PSU in a plastic wrapped box with my addy on it just in case I have another problem and of course cover the extra power usage I will fold with your name. The rest of the hardware is covered over the counter for the next 2 years. 8000 points for 40 bux a month and its all yours.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:41 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Eh, forget it. Like talking to a wall.