Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 19, 2010, 07:31 PM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,999

My System Specs

Default Need help - Catalyst 10.2 install FAIL

Ok, im out of ideas...

Had the 9.12 hotfix running on my 5970 with a 5700x1200 eyefinity display group.

-Installed the 10.2 drivers... system freezes on a black screen.
-Restarted? Freeze before login
-Safe mode works... used driver cleaner to kill ATI drivers, can now post to windows as normal
-Reinstalled 10.2? Same thing again.

Wtf....?
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 19, 2010, 07:34 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,625

My System Specs

Default

This may sound stupid, but did you uninstall before you installed the new drivers? Since you say safe mode works and used driver cleaner to kill the ATI drivers. Try this.

Now that you have the 10.2 Catalyst drivers installed, boot to safe mode, uninstall drivers. Restart, then safe mode again and run Driver Cleaner. Then reboot and install new drivers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old February 19, 2010, 07:36 PM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,999

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
This may sound stupid, but did you uninstall before you installed the new drivers? Since you say safe mode works and used driver cleaner to kill the ATI drivers. Try this.

Now that you have the 10.2 Catalyst drivers installed, boot to safe mode, uninstall drivers. Restart, then safe mode again and run Driver Cleaner. Then reboot and install new drivers.

ATI/AMD doesnt allow uninstall from safe mode "installer service not running".
I uninstalled the old ones first yes.
Ill keep trying... and trying the old 9.12 hotfix ones at well.

I have a feeling this is related to the eyefinity resolutions...
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old February 19, 2010, 07:44 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,903

My System Specs

Default

Try with only a single monitor?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 19, 2010, 07:46 PM
MarkOne's Avatar
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chertsey 60 KM north of Montreal
Posts: 4,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I have a feeling this is related to the eyefinity resolutions...
me too. I guess you have to disable it before upgrade the driver or the catalyst. now how to fix the problem .... can you put a nvidia card in it at least to boot , after you may be able to remove the ATI driver and catalyst. shut down and restart with the 5970 and install the 10,2
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 19, 2010, 07:46 PM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,999

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Try with only a single monitor?
Doin that now.... seems promising.

Restore ppoint helps too! lol
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old February 19, 2010, 07:51 PM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,999

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
me too. I guess you have to disable it before upgrade the driver or the catalyst. now how to fix the problem .... can you put a nvidia card in it at least to boot , after you may be able to remove the ATI driver and catalyst. shut down and restart with the 5970 and install the 10,2
Might have to go that route... I completely cleaned out all the drivers with driversweeper, rebooted then reinstalled 10.2 from scratch. Install completed, but now i reboot again to a black screen before login.

Sigh.

I just wanted to update and try BC2.... now im spending my night on this sh*t
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old February 19, 2010, 08:03 PM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,999

My System Specs

Default

Got it. Driversweeper wasnt enough by itself.
CCleaner found a few stray registry entries about "ATI Clone" or something.

Back to 9.12 hotfix for now. Ill wait till im more sober before trying this fiasco again. lol
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old February 19, 2010, 08:11 PM
OHPC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Might have to go that route... I completely cleaned out all the drivers with driversweeper, rebooted then reinstalled 10.2 from scratch. Install completed, but now i reboot again to a black screen before login.

Sigh.

I just wanted to update and try BC2.... now im spending my night on this sh*t
Isnt that always the way it works out?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old February 19, 2010, 08:13 PM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,999

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHPC View Post
Isnt that always the way it works out?
Moral of the story: Never drink and drivers.
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catalyst 9.12 + Radeon 5870 = FAIL Oversized Rooster O/S's, Drivers & General Software 31 January 21, 2010 01:12 PM
Efficiency Fail belgolas Off Topic 8 October 28, 2009 04:25 PM
Epic Fail !!! jcmaz Off Topic 2 July 13, 2009 01:41 PM
PC boot fail Wolfx25 Troubleshooting 12 March 10, 2009 01:10 PM
ultimate install closed down after install prebent O/S's, Drivers & General Software 0 September 25, 2008 02:05 AM