Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Sound via HDMI to TV

I finally got a long enough HDMI cable to run to my 52" Samsung TV and ran the cable through some walls, but now I am having no luck getting sound through to my TV. I am running the setup in my sig, but to summarize the board is an ASUS 780g (3200HD). At first I couldn't get my monitor and TV to be recognized at the same time, but I managed to solve that by not running 2 digital sources (switched from DVI and HDMI to VGA and HDMI). Now I have it successfully hooked up as a dual monitor setup, but I am not getting sound on the tv. I have the sound enabled in the bios as well. Any ideas?
Old February 12, 2010, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd love to help you but I've got no experience at this point with sound over hdmi as of yet.

But hey, free bump!
Old February 12, 2010, 07:13 PM
Allstar

What OS are you using ?
XP does not work well if at all ... better with Vista or Windows 7.

Did you enable the device in the sound options ?
Old February 12, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya you might have trouble running 2 different audio devices, assuming you've got some PC speakers for your computer, but check to see if it is enabled in the sound options like yamawho said.
Old February 12, 2010, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default what vidiio card

Some vidio cards need a sound cable from moutherbord to vidio card to get sound in HDMI.
Old February 13, 2010, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

1. I am still running Windows XP.

2. I am running pc speakers as well as trying to get sound over HDMI.

3. In Control Panel> Sounds and Audio Devices I don't see an option for turning HDMI sound on/off, but it does list the hardware of ATI HDMI Audio as "this device is working properly"

Any more guidance?
Old February 13, 2010, 08:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You probably won't be able to run speakers and output HDMI sound at the same time. Make sure the ATI HDMI device is selected as your output, and configured for 5.1.
Old February 13, 2010, 09:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You can only choose one output device for sound typically unless its headphones and regular (aka speakers, ht, etc). You will want to make sure you dont have to connect the spdif out of the mobo (which is a 2 pin socket/slot on the motherboard) to that of the graphics card. Typically they include a cable if the card requires it as most mobos work that way unless they have onboard hdmi.
Old February 13, 2010, 10:04 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
1. I am still running Windows XP.

2. I am running pc speakers as well as trying to get sound over HDMI.

3. In Control Panel> Sounds and Audio Devices I don't see an option for turning HDMI sound on/off, but it does list the hardware of ATI HDMI Audio as "this device is working properly"

Any more guidance?
Back when I 1st tried to do this with XP, I was not able to even choose the audio device.
All this changed when I installed Vista.
I assume your speakers are plugged into your TV ...
Old February 13, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1. Make sure your HDMI cable is the only audio source outputting from the PC.
2. If you have stereo speakers hooked up to your TV, ensure your TV is capable of audio pass through. (Although you should hear sound from TV speakers at the least.)
3. Make sure you're using an HDMI 1.3 cable. If it's an older HDMI 1.0 cable, I don't believe they are capable of carrying sound.
4. I assume you're running the onboard HDMI connection on the board? If this is the case, plug in ONLY the HDMI cable and reboot the PC with your TV as the primary video. Older onboard HDMI connections used to have sound detection issues with multiple output sources.
5. If you're NOT using the onboard HDMI, ensure your video card is capable of HDMI sound output; and that, if it's required, you have the sound cable hooked up to the card

Hope something in that list helps.