Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2010, 10:18 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Computer Freeze after running less than 3 Minutes.

As the title says but there is more to it, and I'm stumped. I like to consider myself pretty good at fixing computers provided the problem is something I've encountered before . But this has me vexed. I hope it's something silly that I just overlook but here goes.

About 2 weeks ago my good friend Jim was trying to load Norton Internet security 2010 the program required a reboot to finish installation. The problem was the computer wouldn't finish the reboot without a blue screen. Jim was however able to get the computer to boot into safe mode (Windows Vista premium SP3). But no matter what he tried it won't boot into regular Windows without BSOD. I thought it must be a hard drive problem but I couldn't figure why it would go into Safe mode if the hard drive was bad. So I picked up his computer and started swapping parts. I took a brand new Western Digital Black Caviar 500 GB hard drive loaded with Win 7 and put into his system.

Everything seemed fine. Win 7 loaded with no problems so I'm in bussiness right? Nope after about 2 minutes the system stalls, can't use the mouse can't use the keyboard. So restart system loads into safe mode no problem. So I'm back to square one.

I think it maybe a heat issue but the processor reports it's well within spec at 45 degrees (Intel Q6600). Maybe RaM? Nope swapped that out too with some brand new Corsair XMS DDR 2 RAM same problem. Video Card? Swapped out with my GTX260 same problem stalls after about 2minutes of uptime. Only thing left to change on this computer is the motherboard and processor, and I don't have anything to swapped in to test.

Here's the specs:

Intel Socket 775 Q6600 (stock no OC)
MSI socket 775 board P45 NEO
4GB Corsair XMS DDR 2 RAM(brand new)
500GB Western Digital (loaded with Win 7 Ultimate Edition)
XFX 4870 video (only a few months old)
Antec earthwatts 600watt PSU(bought with the video card)

All stuffed into a HAF 922 case all fans spinning.

Thought I'd see if someone here had any ideas. I think the motherboard might be gone.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old February 12, 2010, 11:32 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Is the NB really hot after 2 minutes?
Old February 12, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you running 2 sticks of RAM? Or 4? You might need to increase NB voltage if you're board is fully populated. Also, I'm assuming you've checked the voltage your CPU is running at? Is it set to auto?
Old February 12, 2010, 11:56 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Does it always stall/freeze at the same time after boot? How about if you restart right away then start again. If it always happens at the same time, whether its a cold boot or a restart, then i doubt it's heat issues. A heat issue would make it freeze/hang sooner after a restart once the offending/overheating component is already warm. If it's always freezing after an x amount of time then you'll have to keep looking... with a fresh install of windows I can only think of it being perhaps a bad SB or something similiar on the MB that hangs up when under heavy use. More info?
Old February 12, 2010, 12:21 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm running 2 sticks in dual channel mode, I've also run just one stick, same result. I also ensure the RAM voltage was set at 2.10 as per the manufacturer recommendation, no change. But thanks for the advice.

North Bridge isn't to hot around 35-40 degrees doesn't seem to bad to me. @Cmetaphor the system hangs at the same time around the 2 minute mark regardless of how long it's been sitting idle, or even after quick restart. I'm starting to suspect the SB aswell. Looks like a new motherboard is in order.

Thanks for the help guys.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old February 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've never had a motherboard die on me unless it was something physically noticeable, like blown caps. Mind you, this is an MSI. (teehee)

I would run a memtest right away.
Old February 12, 2010, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
I'm running 2 sticks in dual channel mode, I've also run just one stick, same result. I also ensure the RAM voltage was set at 2.10 as per the manufacturer recommendation, no change. But thanks for the advice.

North Bridge isn't to hot around 35-40 degrees doesn't seem to bad to me. @Cmetaphor the system hangs at the same time around the 2 minute mark regardless of how long it's been sitting idle, or even after quick restart. I'm starting to suspect the SB aswell. Looks like a new motherboard is in order.

Thanks for the help guys.

i had something like that happen with my laptop once.

they had to replace the motherboard, it would always freeze like 3 minutes after a boot and become unresponsive to anything.
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old February 15, 2010, 12:20 PM
Rookie

Have you looked at power source? Power supply? UPS? Not sure if it's the same problem, but I've experienced something similar before when I had my system plugged into a bad power bar. Gave stability problems even when at stock settings.
Old February 15, 2010, 12:41 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

This happened to me on my HP laptop. Vista had just finished installing updates and when it re-started, it would BSOD. But it would would load up in safe mode no problem. But whenever it hit the Windows loading screen on a regular re-start it would BSOD. I contacted HP and they said it was a faulty motherboard. They replaced the motherboard and it works great now.
Old February 15, 2010, 12:52 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks Redwagon that problem is pretty much excatly what was happening here. It seems the consenses, is the motherboard. I ordered a new one today. Since money is an issue I recommended a Gigabyte AM2+ board paired with a AMD 9850 BE. This will mean he'll be able to use the brand new RAM he just bought and the Gigabyte board is compatible with the new AM 3 chips by AMD. Not to knock Intel but they could learn a thing or two from AMD with regard to minimizing the socket types and backward capabilities.

Thanks for the help everyone, I was starting to doubt my computer fault finding abilities,glad I got this great group of guys and gals to back me up. I still feel bad though because he bought a new hard drive based on my original recommendation; but in truth he needed a new one anyway 80GB just doesn't cut it these days.