Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2010, 06:57 AM
Rookie

Default CPU Fan not spinning

Hi I am having an issue with the CPU fan. The computer is a brand new build. These are the specs:

Gigabyte p55a-ud4p
Intel i5 750
Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus

The issue is when I first booted up the computer the Hyper 212 plus fan will spin for about a second (doesn't even complete one full revolution) and stop spinning. The rest of the computer still stays on although I turned the computer off within seconds after booting it to prevent any CPU damage. I later then connected just the fan from the Intel stock heatsink into the cpu_fan header and booted it up and the fan was spinning fine (I never had to monitor connected so I am not sure if it booted up properly >_> but I had to turn it off because I didn't want CPU damage).

I am going to try later on tonight and connect the "Hyper 212 plus" fan to a sys_fan header on the mobo to see if it works. Can anyone point me in the right direction or has anyone had a similar experience and been able to solve it.

Thanks

Last edited by Mako7; February 12, 2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:58 AM
Rookie

I had to post a second time because I couldn't post links because of a insufficient post count >_>. But this is what I wanted to post:

"I found a similar issue but there was no direct solution and it was more of a loop hole. Here is the link for the post Link"
Old February 12, 2010, 07:55 AM
Banned
F@H

just to make sure here. when you put the power to the PSU, it's normal with some board to see the CPU fan turn 1 sec and shut down, the led on the motherboard stay lit, but the PC is close. you have to press the power button to make the motherboard, and the fan alive. Always plug a monitor to see what happen . The fact your other fan turn the next time you try it, was may be due to the fact , the PSU have already make this cycle , when you press the power button, so the board was posting at that time .

Give this try, plug the monitor and the 212. plug the psu, put the switch at the back of the PSU on , wait .... after push the on putton on front of the pc . and check what happen, you can wait few seconds. the time the heat take too load the heat sink , until 10 sec it's safe
Old February 12, 2010, 08:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
just to make sure here. when you put the power to the PSU, it's normal with some board to see the CPU fan turn 1 sec and shut down, the led on the motherboard stay lit, but the PC is close. you have to press the power button to make the motherboard, and the fan alive. Always plug a monitor to see what happen . The fact your other fan turn the next time you try it, was may be due to the fact , the PSU have already make this cycle , when you press the power button, so the board was posting at that time .

Give this try, plug the monitor and the 212. plug the psu, put the switch at the back of the PSU on , wait .... after push the on putton on front of the pc . and check what happen, you can wait few seconds. the time the heat take too load the heat sink , until 10 sec it's safe
The CPU fan stops spinning but the rest of the PC still remains on ie. case fans are still spinning, psu fan is spinning. Ill try again tonight too see if anything is displayed on the monitor ( I never waited for the monitor to display a signal last time because I didn't want CPU damage). Thanks
Old February 12, 2010, 08:45 AM
Banned
F@H

So I will suspect the fan on the 212 defective , or block by something , since the intel stock fan work well

if your case have a 120 mm fan like at the back, or you have an extre 120 someplace . you can always install this one on the cooler and give a try. if not working with the cpu header, plug it an other place. the worst can happen is you are gone have to adjust the Bios for the warning .
Old February 12, 2010, 09:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I don't know if this can happen with LGA cpus, but make sure that the CPU is properly seated into the socket. After that make sure everything is plugged in properly and seated properly, like the ram, gpu, pci-e connectors, 24 pin, 8/4 pin.
Old February 13, 2010, 06:45 AM
Rookie

The issue has been resolved (well technically it was not even an issue to begin with >_<). I connected the hyper 212 fan to a sys_fan header and the fan spinned fine so there was nothing wrong with the fan. I then decided to connect the fan back to the cpu_fan header and just let it boot. After about 15 seconds the fan started to spin which must mean that the mobo sends outs a small amount of power which wasn't enough for the hyper 212 fan to spin but enough for the intel stock heatsink fan. But once the mobo detected that the cpu was started to get hot it sent more power through the cpu_fan header.

A member at Toms Hardware helped me out, he said some mobos do this (Thread Link), but I wasn't aware of this feature or whatever you want to call it. Anyways thanks for the help.