Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2007, 10:50 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Odd Problem with new computer

Well, this is only my second foray into the wonderful world of Vista but I am already running into a problem with installation of certain drivers. So far I have tried to install the ATI CAt. drivers and the P35 drivers for the motherboard.

I let the CAt 7.10 drivers take 30 mintues and it wouldn't move past the 2005 Windows Redistributal.

The P35 Drivers I let run for 30 minutes without them finishing the installation process.

For some reason the hard drive keeps seeking noonstop even when i am on the desktop.

Any ideas?

Bunged HD?
Old October 13, 2007, 11:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Nah, Vista accesses the hard drive like crazy for me after quite some time from booting. It was like always solid after I installed it but now it's died down after a few months.

Are you using 32bit or 64bit?

My friend has the DS3L motherboard and Vista x64 and the P35 drivers installed fine (from Gigabyte), and he has a NVIDIA card so can't judge ATI drivers.

Maybe try installing this "2005 Windows Redistributal" by itself? Download it from MS or whatever. Also make sure you have all the Windows updates.
Old October 13, 2007, 11:36 AM

With the old computer everything installed without a problem on Vista x32. Now I am trying to install Ultimate x64 on the following system:

Blitz Extreme mobo
Q6600
4x 1GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
HD2900XT 512MB
Seagate Baraccuda 250GB
Pioneer SATA DVD drive

It is a fresh install of Vista. Programs seem to install fine but any driver doesn't finish loading.

Never had anything like this before....
Old October 13, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ugh- that kind of problem just makes me want to go to sleep- I sympathise
Old October 13, 2007, 01:14 PM
Banned
F@H

Ugh. Vista has issue installing with more than 2GB of ram on some systems. You may want to try installing with just 2gb, and after all drivers and such are installed, install the 4GB.

Or, because there were no drivers installed at first, the "Performance Index" was rated as a 1.0, thus turning off Aero, and some other features. Therefore, as a first measure in all instances of installing VISTA, you must re-run the Windows Experience Index tool after installing video drivers before Vista will chug along at it's proper speed.

Old October 13, 2007, 01:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Well, this is only my second foray into the wonderful world of Vista but I am already running into a problem with installation of certain drivers. So far I have tried to install the ATI CAt. drivers and the P35 drivers for the motherboard.

I let the CAt 7.10 drivers take 30 mintues and it wouldn't move past the 2005 Windows Redistributal.

The P35 Drivers I let run for 30 minutes without them finishing the installation process.

For some reason the hard drive keeps seeking noonstop even when i am on the desktop.

Any ideas?

Bunged HD?
Hard drive trashing could be due to Windows Search indexing your drives. I ran into that problem the first time I installed Vista on a 500gb drive. I got sick of it and bought a raptor 150, no more trashing from hell. You can try disabling the service via admin console, that will stop it entirely.
Antec P180
BFG GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair HX-620
Thermaltake Power Express 250W
Raptor150, WD 500gb. WD 300GB
X-Fi Extreme Music
Old October 13, 2007, 03:40 PM

Found the problem: Another Seagate drive bites the dust.

And my only other hard drive was....another Seagate.

Everything is working great now except the flickering in 3DMark06 with my Crossfire HD2900XT config.
Old October 13, 2007, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Found the problem: Another Seagate drive bites the dust.

And my only other hard drive was....another Seagate.

Everything is working great now except the flickering in 3DMark06 with my Crossfire HD2900XT config.
Yeah 320 seagate has started clicking for no reason in the last week, but got everything backed up so if/when it goes NP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 13, 2007, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post

Ugh. Vista has issue installing with more than 2GB of ram on some systems. You may want to try installing with just 2gb, and after all drivers and such are installed, install the 4GB.

Because you need to apply a hotfix to 64bit Vista to get it to work with over 3gb of memory on some machines.
Old October 13, 2007, 06:37 PM

Well, it registers 4GB of ram in Vista.

But ATI needs to work on their drivers. Big time.