Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2010, 05:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If it's bricked because of the 7200.11 fiasco, Seagate is supposed to return the drive with the data intact, very rare for an hdd company.
Drop their support an email.
Old February 4, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimx133 View Post
If it's bricked because of the 7200.11 fiasco, Seagate is supposed to return the drive with the data intact, very rare for an hdd company.
Drop their support an email.

wow, thanks, i called and im getting through, i was told that they would try to re-flash it and give me all my data drive on the one i sent it.

got a shipping label and everything
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old February 8, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Dear Brian,

I wanted to advise you that we've confirmed the drive is inaccessible due to the firmware issue you were discussing with Seagate Tech Support. I will be managing the case from this side so please feel free to call or email me if you have any questions or concerns.

At present the drive has been unlocked and the firmware upgraded so it is no longer susceptible to that issue. We've made a sector by sector image of your drive to one of our devices both to protect against any potential issue that could arise during return shipping (i.e., lost package) and to check the drive for any other potential issues. There were no issues found and the file system/data have been checked so this should be perfect upon return to you.

We will ship this out tomorrow via UPS Ground. You can expect arrival in 1 to 5 days. If you want us to ship UPS Next Day Air, there will be an additional cost to you of $40. The online tracking number with UPS will be posted on our case tracking portal: https://services.seagate.com/tracking.aspx.

NOTE: We will overwrite our copy of your data 14 days after having shipped your drive back so please ensure you have a proper backup in place by that time.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. Otherwise take care and all the best.

Regards,

Joe

very fast and good service, ill have to make sure to write about this in the RMA post up top once i get the drive back.
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old February 8, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, Seagate have been absolutely excellent with me. Best RMA's I've ever had to deal with.
Old February 9, 2010, 05:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yeah they have been pretty good about it all( (the .11 problem). i had 1 hdd refused in the last year only because it was oem so i would watch yourself because seagate oem's are only 1 year if they choose them to be. fyi warranty they can change on the fly, i don't think this is cool and that's why i buy wd most of the time now so i know that i have a warranty. thought some of you would like to know that about there warranty's. it seems to me the more drives you have to send in the more they look for any reason not to cover it. not cool seagate in any way considering when i bought your hdd's it had a 3 year oem warranty but because they bought Maxtor and there crappy hdd's they had to change it to 1 year but only when you happen to send in more then one drive a year. i know another person who they did this too.

see what my problem is that i have more china made seagate .11 which mean there maxtor, but i know that seagate is not going to cover them because there made in china=maxtor if it's a .11 wow rant over.
Old February 9, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Something about that doesn't make sense. You can check online to see if there is a warranty or not, long before they know who the drive is from.....
Old February 9, 2010, 01:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

That's great from Seagate.

Old February 9, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I sent two drives to them that failed because of NO FAULT TO SEAGATE. The PSU blew, taking out the mb, hds and a few other things.

The PSU sent enough voltage or current over the sata connectors to blow chucks out of the PCB. Seagate looked at the pictures, shrugged a bit, and then said they've cover it.

Wow. People always talk about the firmware fiasco, but really... that's good service.

Last edited by Perineum; February 9, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Cant fault Seagate's CS really top notch always has been, hopefully always will be.
BUT they were slow to admit to a problem and slower to do anything about it on the firmware issue.
That plus the occasional Seagate drone denying OEM RMA's with "OEM comes with 1yr warranty"...is disturbing. Truly hope its FUD and that the growing pains of absorbing Maxtor are now over. I really like their new XT line. It still gets its arse handed to it by a 2tb WD Black....but its a sweet drive none the less. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 9, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i still buy them i just lean towards WD for clients. but the story goes when i bought said hdd (750gb) they came with a 3 year oem but after they found so many bad drives that become 1 year.