Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2010, 01:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default HDD disappears - Windows 7 RC1

Since building this machine about 6 months ago I've been running it with 3 HDD - 2 Hitachi's and 1 Seagate, all 500GB. In the beginning I was using RAID0 but somehow it cannot detect the other HDD after 1 month of worry-free use so went installed as usual in one of the HDDs. Problem solved. For about another month.

This time it would boot into the Windows splash screen but will hang in there forever. Reboot takes a few tries to get to Windows, sometimes asking me if I want to "launch repair" or "boot normally". I'd choose boot normally more often than not and it will most of the time work like there is no issues up to a point when I noticed the Seagate disappeared. Shutting it down and moving the Sata cable to another port solved it but putting it back to where it was didn't show any problems and that's where it has been for the next while.

It has been working great for the past 3 months or so but 3 days ago it started doing the hanging again. I dual boot with Hackintosh and booting to it has no issues so I'd use that and after a while will boot to windows and it will work. Today, it took me 5-6 tries to boot to Windows even after using the Hack. And after successfully booting to windows the Seagate disappeared is not there again. I restarted the rig and the thing is back and it booted normally.

This problem is somewhat the same as this, http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/830582f9-9c12-49f6-b5e5-ca07573658cf.

Has anyone encountered this issue? I'll be installing Windows 7 Home Premium soon but I want to make sure that others have no issues with multiple hard drives like the one I am having right now.

Hardware:
Biostar 790GX
AMD X2 550
Buffalo Firestix
GTS250

Old January 30, 2010, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i can tell you my htpc normal has 2 to 3 hd in it at all times and i have be running 7 with no problems at all. word of advice only have the hd for the os pluged in when you do an fresh insall tehn plug the other hd/ssd in after done install. jm2cents
Old January 30, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use multiple HDD's on 2 separate machines, both using Windows 7. I've never seen that issue occur. I've also never had to remove all but my primary HDD for an install. Not that it would hurt anything, but I don't really see it as being necessary.
Old January 30, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have multiple hard drives in a win 7 RC machine (3 physical, 5 logical) - none are in any form of RAID, but I haven't had this issue either.

but maybe it's just the Seagate acting a little funny? it does seem weird that the Hack has no probs with it. Maybe a chipset driver issue?
Old January 30, 2010, 02:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

Hack and Windows are in separate drives. Apologies for not mentioning it. Seagate is for back up.

Old January 31, 2010, 01:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

I was transferring files from the Seagate and all of the sudden it crashed and I had to reboot and it took 2 tries to get it going. I downloaded SeaTools and it showed I have the one with the BAD firmware. Updated and hoping it will be the fix.