Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2010, 12:02 PM
Rookie

Default Semi New Build Not Loading

Good Afternoon All,

I just finished putting together what I am calling a "semi" new build, and am testing it out right now to get it booted etc.

Specs:
Biostart TA790GXE 128M Mobo (new)
AMD Athlon II X3 435 Processor (new)
4 Sticks of 1 GB Kingston 533 DDR2 Dual-channel RAM
Western Digital Caviar 320 GB Sata HDD
Rosewill 430W Power Supply (new)
HP DVD Writer and a cd writer from an old Dell

So, basically, first time I tried to boot with all 4 sticks of RAM in, it would not go past the "checking NVRAM screen".

I took two of the sticks out and left the other two in the DIMM slots listed as "#1".

Now, it's getting past the NVRAM stage, but I get the BSOD after the comp asks if I want to start windows normally or run safe mode.

Anyone out there able to help me out, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick
Old January 29, 2010, 12:04 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

This is a fresh install? What version of windows?

Oh, and welcome to the forums
Old January 29, 2010, 12:12 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the greetings and the quick response.

It's not a fresh install and it's Windows XP. I was hoping to "transplant" my OS and what not by using the old HDD.

Trying to get away with XP on the desktop until I can find a cheap version of 7.

This is my first attempt at doing anything like this, so apologies if I am lacking a little bit in what would seem to be fairly rudimentary knowledge.

I've done hardware upgrades, etc., but that's about it really.

-Nick
Old January 29, 2010, 12:17 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Unless your Northbridge on your old motherboard is the same or very similar to the new one, windows will not work. You'll have to do a fresh install in order to fix it (sometimes a windows repair might work tho).

As for your ram problems: Find out what the maximum rated voltage is for your sticks, post the system with 1 or 2 sticks installed only. Find the bios voltage adjustments and set the dimm voltage to that max voltage for the dimms. Save and shutdown the system. Install the other 2-3 sticks, try POSTing again.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:21 PM
Rookie

Right on.

Thanks for the knowledge. My guess is that the architectures of the Mobo's are not close (previous is Intel, this is AMD).

I am going to pull the HDD, back it all up to my external from the old machine, and then see if I can track down the iso I have of Windows 7 from my Laptop. I think there was an option on it to install on more than one machine. Could be worthwhile to try.

I'll work on the RAM when i get everything sorted out.

Thanks again.

Nick
Old January 29, 2010, 06:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I don't believe you can transfer os from a different computer, if you do and succeed, I believe that's pirating unless you have the retail copy
Old January 30, 2010, 11:56 AM
Rookie

I do indeed have the retail version as well. I had 32-bit on my laptop. Wanted to upgrade to 64 (no rhyme or reason, ability was there), but when doing so through the process that Microsoft said was available to me, something went awry and I spent time reformatting, reloading, etc. I ended up having to create a 64-bit iso, and ended up with two keys (microsoft support said that my upgrade should have worked, and since it didn't enter this key, yadda yadda yadda). So, I just rebuilt my desktop and want to load the new OS.

Also, as an aside, found out that one of my RAM sticks went down. Don't know how or why it happened, but must have been some time between taking it out of the old mobo and putting it in the new one. Other 3 sticks are posting fine. So I'll run 3 gigs for now until I have the money to upgrade to some sticks that I can run a bit faster with more space.
Old January 30, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya only vista and 7 can you switch mb and not have to do a reinstall. mind you there is a way to do i think squeetard was able to do it just can't remember what he said had to be done
Old January 30, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nick View Post
Thanks for the greetings and the quick response.

It's not a fresh install and it's Windows XP. I was hoping to "transplant" my OS and what not by using the old HDD.

Trying to get away with XP on the desktop until I can find a cheap version of 7.

-Nick
All you need to do is a repair install. Do not at any time choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R" It's the wrong selection.

Quote:
1.Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2.When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

Quote:
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3.Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

4.Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5.Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and (now finally!) press R to start the repair.