Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2010, 08:46 AM
Rookie

Default Frequent Blue Screens-HELP!

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and excited to join this community. I am wondering if anyone has a solution to a problem I have right now. I bought a ATI 4860 video card and installed it on my computer last month. Last week I upgrade my OS from Windows Vista to Windows 7. Since then, every time I play any game a fan from my computer runs really fast then slow then fast. Starting yesterday I kept getting BSOD and got 2 more today. When I restart computer, the monitor is blank.

I took out the ATI card and put in my old NVIDIA card and then restarted my comp. The computer runs but ther monitor screen is blank and its blinking continuously. So i took out that video card too and booted off the onboard video card and the computer ran properly and i could get into the desktop and there was display on the monitor.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this situation as I dont know what to do

Computer Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
AMD X3
3.0GB RAM
ATI 4860 video card
Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-LA
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 6150SE-430
BIOS Type: Award BIOS
Hard Disk: Hitachi Disk Drive (298GB)
Old January 28, 2010, 08:55 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It could be that your onboard video was enabled with the change in OSes. Go into your BIOS and ensure that your IGP is disabled before booting with a dedicated GPU.
Old January 28, 2010, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1. Remove all video drivers while your onbord video works. (keep onboard video driver)

2. Download and run driver sweeper or similar program to remove any driver remains.

3. Install new card and disable onboard video in bios.

4 Download and install current drivers for your video card.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old January 28, 2010, 08:58 AM
Rookie

Is there a way you can walk me into doing that? I have no idea how to get into my BIOS

Also, today morning I tried to boot the comp and it wouldnt display anything. So I took out the video card and ran it off the onboard video card and it still wouldnt display anything. The comp would run though without any beeps
Old January 28, 2010, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With an Asus board, keep tapping "delete" key when booting up.

Old January 28, 2010, 09:15 AM
Rookie

Now when I turn on the computer using the onboard video card, the computer turns on but there is still no display. Only a blinking monitor light
Old January 28, 2010, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Which processor do you have? X3 doesn't really tell us anything..

-Plato
Old January 28, 2010, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman View Post
Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-LA
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 6150SE-430
)
Am I the only one that think it could be a chip-set heat problem. You know guys that these board are known for dead chip-set after some time and maybe the 4860 ( pretty decent video card ) make it blew because of the additional charge of work. Try to run open panel with a home fan pointing on the computer. Or if the computer run and you can't put your finger on the chip-set because it's to hot then you got your problem. Sometime adding additional Fan on the chip can help but most I have seen so far was RMA cow.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 28, 2010, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you only have your onboard video enabled and your video card is removed, try a cmos reset.

Remove motherboard battery, then look on your motherboard for a jumper. the jumper will be covering 2 of 3 pins. remove the jumper and make it cover the center pin and the empty pin. Wait a minute, move the jumper back, replace the battery, make sure the onboard video is enabled, check your monitor connections and reboot.

Old January 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
Rookie

Ok, so I got it working using the onboard video card. All I did was take out the power cable to the motherboard and put it back in. Im gonna see if I can get into the BIOS and disable the onboard video card.