Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2010, 09:56 PM
Rookie

Default New Build, Issue with Vendetta 2 HS

Hey there,

I just built a new rig, its a E8400 chip running on a Gigabyte EP45-UDP3 board. I have a Vendetta 2 heatsink but Im having some trouble (or I think I am with my core temps)

When Im idling its about 26 or 27 for each core but when I run prime95 it jumps to 65-70 for each core. Though 1 core is about 4 degrees higher than the other.

Im not overclocking yet but thats why I got the Vendetta 2, so i could raise my speed up to 3.6ghz from the default 3.0ghz

Im running 4 2gb sticks of corsair ram and a corsair 750w psu in a Antec 900 case with all fans on medium, though turning them on high does not seem to help.

Tspot
Old January 27, 2010, 01:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried remounting the cooler? What are you using for thermal compound?

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old January 27, 2010, 01:31 AM
Rookie

Ive remounted a couple times, I just have the thermal compound that came with the vendetta 2. I only mounted it the first time a day ago so when I unclipped it and put it back on I didnt clean off the thermal and put new on.

I dont have any new thermal in the house.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Pushpins eh???

If so, your temps are about normal with that heatsink and its stock fan.

If you want lower temps you either need a better fan or the backplate for your cooler....or both.
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe 790FX (MX-2 NB + SB)
2x2GB G.Skill Pi Black @ 900MHz 444-12
PNY "XLR8" 9800GX2 @ 704/2202/1760
Seagate 500GB + XP SP3
22" Acer P223w @ 1680x1050
Modded Lian Li PC-60F
SB Audigy 2 w/ Heatsink

Old January 27, 2010, 04:48 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Couple suggestions / tips.
1) How did apply the tim? Pea method, full coverage or line method? 3 pipe HDT's need two small lines applied to the base of the cooler (not the CPU) to get best coverage.
2) pick up the "crossbow" backplate for the cooler. Vendetta's are good coolers...BUT they really need the backplate for greatness. Best 10 buck investment you will ever make.
3) IF the numbers are still not good enough for you...get a Scythe E, Yate Loon 2k or CM BladeMaster fan for it. Higher rpm + static pressure WILL lower your temps.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 27, 2010, 04:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCid888* View Post
If so, your temps are about normal with that heatsink and its stock fan.
I don't think those temps are normal even with that thermal paste, the stock fan and no backplate. I know my situation is totally different, but with my Phenom II X4 940, the stock thermal paste and an overclock (can't remember to 3.4 or 3.6), I was gettings temps below 60(if I remember right, around 55), so without an overclock, I would think that your E8400 should get much lower temps even if the mounting method is different between AMD and Intel.

As for what the problem may be, that is a different case, I am not sure, did you applied too much thermal paste. Also, I know the stock thermal paste sucks, so for a few bucks, get yourself some better quality one. What kind of airflow do you have in your case, try opening the side panel when running Prime, it will give you an idea of what it could be with access to more air.

Edit: AkG, which fan are you suggesting exactly(not sure what to search for to find them) ?
Old January 27, 2010, 05:06 AM

Sorry wasnt clear....neeeeeed cooooffffffeee :)~

Scythe S-Flex "F" or "G"...1600,1900 rpms
Yale Loon D12SH-12
CoolerMaster BladeMaster or R4

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...re=Yate%20Loon
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...facture=Scythe
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...facture=Scythe
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER R4-BMBS-20PK-R0 Blade Master 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...e=COOLERMASTER

Hope that helps :)

Edit Scythe E prolly isnt worth the cost in these situations where its a 1300rpm fan (vs 1500 stock) so I yanked it and I withdraw that suggestion :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 27, 2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry to ask again Akg, but do you know how the fans you suggested compare to the stock fan on the Vendetta II in terms of noise(I find the stock fan to be quiet). (I have been looking at the Scythe F or G for a while, but I don't want to increase the noise (if possible). Also, what sort of improvement would these fans yield ?
Old January 27, 2010, 06:28 AM

Power and low noise is a hard combo to pull off and I really cant tell ya IF X or Y or X will be "better" in noise compared to the stock. You have a 1500rpm fan (IIRC) now so a Scythe E would be lower noise BUT may not be that big of an improvement in cooling maybe a degree or two. Honestly my first pick(s) for for best noise to performance ratio is the BladeMaster and R4s. The BladeMaster will be louder if it ramps up to full speed....BUT its surprisingly quiet for a fan of its speed, and for a good 75-85% or more of its speed curve it is an awfully darn quiet fan. Same goes for the R4s. The R4s may actually be bit lower noise as they are sleeve bearings and the Blademasters are (or at least were) Rifle bearing.

Like I said, noise is usually the cost of more performance....the question only you can answer is HOW much more noise you are comfortable with.

Old January 27, 2010, 06:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the temps posted by the OP are too high for stock speeds, even with a pushpin mount. A good cleaning and careful application of MX-2 is necessary. I think the Vendetta 2, although better than the stock heatsink, is overrated. Another fan to consider is the Gelid line. They are quiet and push a fair amount of air.