Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2010, 08:06 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Ultra DMA CRC error count

Hi again,

my computer crashed two times lately with a boot disk failure error message on the reboot. So I tough the problem would be my caviar blue 320g, so i ran HD Tune.

The smart is yellow on the Ultra DMA CRC error count (value of 200 current, 199 worst, 0 threshold, 162 data, warning status). I've read that changing the cable can resolve this problem. So I did. Nothing has changed. So i've tried changing the power cable. Same thing, still the same problem.

Whats the next step guys? RMA?

TIA
E8400 | Xigmatek HDT-S1283 | GA-EP45-DS3L | OCZ XTC Platinum Edition PC2-8500 4X2GB | HD 4890 1GB | Corsair Tx750W | Samsung 245BW | WD 1TB Caviar Black | Turtle Beach Ear Force X-52 | Antec Three Hundred
Old January 26, 2010, 09:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't know why anyone would suggest changing a cable for a CRC error. The error means the drive is reading bad data from the platter. CRC errors mean you have emerging bad sectors. You probably know the drill: some will tell you to use their favorite magic software to "fix" the problem, some will tell you to ignore it as it isn't a problem for them so you will never have problems, and some will tell you to ditch the drive.

If you can RMA is easily then that's what I would suggest; that's a sure fire way to get rid of the problems you have on this drive. Alternately, if you can make a copy of all the data you can try zero writing the drive. This will cause the firmware to replace sectors that are failing with replacements from the spare pool. If the problem sectors are localized and not an indication of a bigger problem then that should fix the problem. The magic software are usually pay solutions so you can invest in some of those or just buy a new drive for the cost.

Old January 26, 2010, 12:35 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

2 day left on my NCIX express RMA :P
E8400 | Xigmatek HDT-S1283 | GA-EP45-DS3L | OCZ XTC Platinum Edition PC2-8500 4X2GB | HD 4890 1GB | Corsair Tx750W | Samsung 245BW | WD 1TB Caviar Black | Turtle Beach Ear Force X-52 | Antec Three Hundred
Old January 27, 2010, 07:36 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

How do i Cross Ship to NCIX? I got my RMA Number
Old March 2, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok well i just noticed in the last 2 days that all my hdd's ( 12 ) and ssd's ( 6 ) all show a UDMA CRC error so i don't think this works right or something else is being reported. these drives vary in age from 3 months to 5 years and all have worked fine any thoughts anyone?