Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2010, 11:40 AM
Rookie

Default Please Help - Brand New LCD Monitor Stand-by Problem

I just bought a brand new NEC EA261WM-BK 26" monitor two days ago for work purposes and I noticed a very strange thing happening with it. The screen will not stay in stand-by mode for longer than a few minutes no matter what and keeps turning on all the time and then stays on permanently. I tried using my Google-fu but it is failing me on this one. I found thousands of questions with people complaining that their screen will not enter stand-by or will not wake from stand-by, but not a single question or problem describing anything like what I am experiencing.

Again, the problem is that the screen, even if completely disconnected from the computer except for the power cable which is plugged into the wall will only stay in stand-by mode for a few minutes and will then wake up and stay on permanently. This is (a) a huge energy waster, (b) shortens the life span of the screen as the screen is on 24/7, (c) extremely annoying for two reasons (1) I paid ~$750 for this screen and (2) I am not about to hit the power button on the monitor every time to make sure it stays off as I should not have to do this on a ~$750 screen.

To top it off neither NEC nor the distributor where I bought the screen provide 7-day per week support so I cannot even get in touch with anyone, and I most certainly do not want to RMA a brand new screen to the manufacturer to get some refurbished POS back.

What gives?

Edit: Please do not get into a discussion "why NEC" or "you should have bought Samsung" or whatever. I am looking for genuine help here if anybody has any ideas. I have never experienced anything like this before, ever, nor heard of it.
Old January 23, 2010, 03:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried going through the setup menu to see if there are any power settings in there?
Old January 23, 2010, 04:52 PM
Rookie

Yep, tried all the options. It is definitely not a "feature". Even if I just leave the screen plugged into the power it does the same thing...does not have to be connected to anything at all. It will be in stand-by as it should for a bit and then it powers on and stays on. I think it is FUBAR.
Old January 23, 2010, 10:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Weird problem. Just wait until Monday to see if it is a deffect. I don't see why they wouldn't exchange it, it wont even be a week old.
Old January 24, 2010, 05:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

what about settings on the PC? I don't know if you're using MS windows or not - however can't you setup standby mode in the operating system itself?.. or am I up too early and just haven't had enough coffee yet..
But with something so new, i'd definitely be RMA'ing it if it's doing freaky stuff it shouldn't.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old January 25, 2010, 12:03 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
what about settings on the PC? I don't know if you're using MS windows or not - however can't you setup standby mode in the operating system itself?.. or am I up too early and just haven't had enough coffee yet..
But with something so new, i'd definitely be RMA'ing it if it's doing freaky stuff it shouldn't.
See that's the kicker...this is definitely a defect...the monitor behaves like this even if it plugged in to nothing but power. It simply never stays in stand-by mode, even when it is not even connected to a video card. It is basically always-on, no matter what. It only goes into stand by for a few minutes here and there, and then it is back to on...all the time.

It's busted, no doubt about it. I just need to make sure I am not paying for this exchange or anything...this was DOA basically.
Old January 25, 2010, 09:37 AM
Rookie

Well, spoke to NEC, turns out that the screen I received as new is actually refurbished and they will ship me out a brand new screen right away and arrange to have this one picked up at no cost to me. Also, for the first 30 days if I have issues again they will replace it at no charge to me again. Same cannot be said about the distributor though. They would not even talk to me about a replacement at their cost...but as long as the manufacturer came through

Unfortunate this happened in the first place but happy that NEC Canada is taking care of this absolutely properly, no questions asked.