Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2010, 03:59 AM
Rookie

Default Asus maximus CPU LED is red, monitor detects no signal

i recently have built my computer, but when i turned it on the monitor detects no signal but every thing else in the case works fine. After looking at my motherboard, next to the 24pin connector the Q LED light shines red for the cpu. What may be the problem? cpu/motherboard failure?
Can someone please help me.
Thanks in advance !!!

CM-HAF 932
i5-750
Asus Maximus III Formula
4G G.skill Ripjaws
Corsair H50 all in one cooling
XFX 9600GT x2
Xigmatek 850Watt psu
1TB Seagate Baracuda
Old January 19, 2010, 11:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Check for an extra standoff behind the motherboard that shouldnt be there and probably shorting the board out. 9 times out of 10 thats usually the guilty culprit.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:17 AM
Banned
F@H

I will check latter what this led is for, and if it's lit or not on mine, but I fix many problem with new board, by simply removing the battery and short the 2 connector for few seconds , of course remove the power from the board. If this red led is the OC voltage indicator, the BIOS reset may fix it ... try it
Old January 19, 2010, 11:59 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Check for an extra standoff behind the motherboard that shouldnt be there and probably shorting the board out. 9 times out of 10 thats usually the guilty culprit.
no extra stand offs behind the mobo
Old January 19, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

on my maximus formula the LEDs are voltage indicator related. The motherboard is overvolting the CPU most likely. (I think it goes red above 1.45 or 1.475V, I forget) but I don't see why that would prevent you from starting up. as suggested before, reset the BIOS. (there's a button on the back of the motherboard)
Old January 19, 2010, 04:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

smells like RMA time. just to pinpoint what needs to be RMA'd mobo most likely

if i buy a part new. and it don't work after checking all the obvious issues. RMA it goes! no point screwing with faulty pc parts
Old January 19, 2010, 07:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't say it's hardware failure just yet. That light is red when it fails to POST as well I believe.

Check and make sure all your hardware is properly seated, and that your RAM is in the right slots. Maybe try with a single stick of RAM as well, and remove all non-essential hardware.
Old January 19, 2010, 07:28 PM
Banned
F@H

to the OP : are you the same guy who post with a memory problem with the same asus board.

first of all , we have to know witch led is red, the Op say the Q led near the 24 pins is red for the CPU.... this is a mistake, the led for the CPU is near the connector at the back of the board, the one directly at the side of the 24 is for the mem ok or some pre set OC. the one near the Memory, on the side of the CPU is the memory voltage.

I will say it again, remove the battery and short the connector, the bottom for clear the bios at the back is useless for that problem .