Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2010, 12:40 PM
Rookie

Default Any thoughts? "Reboot and Select proper Boot device"

Hey guys, hoping i can get some help with this problem. Sometimes when I boot my pc I will get the following error message:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Inster Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

Sometimes I can resolve it by just rebooting, but recently I was only able to resolve it by unplugging one of my HD's.

Here is my current setup:
ASUS P5Q-E
Intel e8400
Mushkin redline 4xgig
GTX 260
corsair HX620w

2x WD Black 640gig
HD1 Partition 64gig partition with Windows7 64bit
HD1 Partition 532gig ntfs partition just for data etc..
HD2 full 640gig ntfs partition for data etc..

Troubleshooting so far:
- completely swapped out all sata cables and tried different sata ports
- tried differet PSU slots
- I also tried reinstalling windows7 on the partition
- I updated the BIOS to the latest found on the ASUS website
- I checked that they aren't setup for RAID in the bios and that they both show up
- Made sure the HD is the first thing to boot under boot options and also removed all USB devices and any cd's before booting

I'm just a little stumped on what to try next. When the pc is up and running everything is fine it just seems when it reboots with both HD's connected it has trouble it's like it doesn't know which one to boot from . Is there any way i can remove the 2nd HD entry from the MBR? Sort of like reset it?
Old January 19, 2010, 08:10 PM
Rookie

By any chance to do you a USB or external HD connected?

Usually that can conflict with the boot order which results in the error you stated.

If not, try pulling out your data HDD, and boot it.

Maybe the order of SATA connection on your mobo has something to do with the boot priority?
Old January 19, 2010, 08:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

What version of windows you running? Either way you just need to use the repair console and then fix your boot sector that way.,
Old January 19, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Set first boot in bios

bios should have select boot priorty. first boot should be cd/dvd drive then hard disk boot drive.
Old January 19, 2010, 09:52 PM
Top Prospect

Maybe your hard drive isn't spinning up in time for your computer to boot off it. Is there anything in your BIOS letting you specify a spin-up time?

Is there any chance your power supply is browning out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
Hey guys, hoping i can get some help with this problem. Sometimes when I boot my pc I will get the following error message:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Inster Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

Sometimes I can resolve it by just rebooting, but recently I was only able to resolve it by unplugging one of my HD's.