Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2010, 06:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default crossfire 2 3870s appears to not work?

hey hwc'ers,

I was wondering if anybody has had this problem before... and how to diagnose it.

I cannot seem to get my second 3870 to have a load... even though it's in crossfire. Lately i've been doing some GPU folding for the HWC team, however my second 3870 doesn't seem to have any load on it, only my first 3870 has a load on it ....

is there another program i can use to monitor the GPU temperatures and load other than CCC?

and when i play L4D2 it also displays the same problems, first card has a load, but the second one doesn't... which is weird.... maybe i didn't do something properly?

the picture is right below =) thanks guys!
Attached Images

Old January 14, 2010, 05:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

drivers to new. i am just guessing maybe try some old ones
Old January 14, 2010, 06:17 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

You have to disable CF to Fold unless something has changed in the past couple of months (seeing as there's still no 5 series support, I doubt that) Make sure you use the GPU 0 and GPU 1 flags to run it as well.

Use GPU-Z and allow it to run in the background while your gaming. It should log the temps and usage.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:48 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

But the problem is that even when i play L4D2 my second card isn't used... why is this?
Old January 15, 2010, 04:12 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Some games just don't support CF. It could also be a driver issue. CF was broken with 3870's for about 5 driver releases when I was running a pair of them.

One other thing you can check is to make sure Catalyst AI is enabled otherwise that disables CF even though you have it set in the CF tab.
Old January 15, 2010, 10:17 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

But left for dead clearly supports crossfire according to this site when they tested it with two 5970s... you could be right about the cf being broken though. i'll see if it's a driver issue =P
Old January 15, 2010, 12:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I gave up on +fire long ago. It is too hit & miss for me to be bothered with. I too was using 2 HD3870's and now they sit in their original boxes collecting dust. Sad really.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old January 16, 2010, 03:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by feerof View Post
But the problem is that even when i play L4D2 my second card isn't used... why is this?
Crossfire is supported by L4D2. Make sure it is enabled in the control panel. However, crossfire will only give a boost if:

- the card is good with the game in single mode (2 old cards never equals a newer faster card)
- your cpu can handle the load
- the resolution and AA & AF are set high enough

Are you using 1 or 2 bridges? You should usually use 1 if you have 2 cards (but some motherboard require 2).
Old January 17, 2010, 04:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moba View Post
Crossfire is supported by L4D2. Make sure it is enabled in the control panel. However, crossfire will only give a boost if:

- the card is good with the game in single mode (2 old cards never equals a newer faster card)
- your cpu can handle the load
- the resolution and AA & AF are set high enough

Are you using 1 or 2 bridges? You should usually use 1 if you have 2 cards (but some motherboard require 2).

I have a core i7 860.

The funny thing is that when I don't have xfire enabled, I go on single player mode in L4D2 and i get ~70 fps. When I enable xfire, i, again, go on single player mode, and i get ~110 fps. HOWEVER when i check out the temps and loads on the 2nd card, it doesn't show anything... it's load is 0%.

What's even weirder, is when i'm on campaign mode with other players. When i get on, I have maxed out settings on a 1680x1050 resolution (my monitor's max res) and I would get around 17 fps... makes me go wtf. So i decided to just fiddle around with windowed mode and full screen mode. When I go from full screen to windowed mode, the fps would jump from ~17 to ~65, then when i go from windowed mode to full screen mode, the FPS would go from ~65 to ~110.... does anybody have any idea what's happening here?

I use gpu-z to log the things that are happening with the 2nd graphic card, but it shows that it has 0% load.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong ... hm...

And I'm only using one bridge =P