Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2010, 08:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Computer Restarting Non-stop

Recently my Domino A.L.C. bursted (so much for a "simple" water cooling solution) and sprayed the coolant everywhere within my system while it was running. I saw a huge white flash and the computer turned off. Not good. However there was no burnt smell, only the smell of the coolant.

So I unplugged the computer, cleaned up all the coolant, and waited 2 days for whatever coolant I couldn't wipe off (or see) to dry up. I replaced the HSF with a TRUE and tried starting it up again. Surprisingly, it turned on and nothing seems to be wrong, except when I got past POST it said "Operating System Not Found". Ok, no biggie, I'm using a SSD for my boot drive but I also have a separate OS on my RAID HDs so I restarted the computer and tried to change my Primary Boot Drive, but in the middle of changing my settings the computer shuts off. I tried turning it on again but while the system starts properly, nothing shows up on my monitor, and I noticed that the middle of the 5 red lights on my HD4870 X2 is on. According to a Google search that's supposed to be a problem with 6-pin power (correct me if I'm wrong). So either the PSU's 6 PIN isn't supplying power properly, or the GPU seriously got messed up by the coolant.

Well I went and bought a HD5870 (been eyeing one so I suppose this is a good excuse to get it), and after installing it my computer would turn on for about 1/2 a second, then turn off for about a second or 2, then turn on for 1/2 a second, and repeat. All the fans (the fan on the TRUE, the fan in the PSU and the fan on the GPU) turn on, and all the light come on when the system turns on for that 1/2 second. There are no beeping sound. Nothing shows up on the screen either. I tried switching back to the 4870 X2 and the same thing happens as well. The monitor used to be black but atleast the computer stayed on, but now it would do the shut down and turn on routine non-stop as well.

The PSU is a Corsair HX620. I'm guessing there's a problem with the PSU, but I'd like a few other opinions as to what the problem might be.

Old January 12, 2010, 09:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

PSU would be my first guess as well from what you've been describing. Anybody close by who'd let you slave in their PSU to check it?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 12, 2010, 09:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
PSU would be my first guess as well from what you've been describing. Anybody close by who'd let you slave in their PSU to check it?
I think I may be able to borrow one. Just wanted to make sure that was the problem before I try borrowing one. Thanks for the reassurance!

Old January 13, 2010, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

Aye I'd have to suggest PSU as well.

I thought coolant fluid wasn't supposed to be conductive?
Old January 13, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would guess it is either the PSU or motherboard. Borrow a PSU and if that doesnt fix it then it is likely the board.
Old January 13, 2010, 01:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I've tried another PSU and the same thing happens. I was afraid it'd be the board but now that seems to be the case.

I thought coolants weren't supposed to be conductive either, but seeing as it ruined my motherboard and my GPU, that seems to be false. Well that's $800 and a lesson to never buy from CoolIt's "hassle free" products.

Old January 13, 2010, 01:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

Clean it up thoroughly and send it for warranty.

Old January 13, 2010, 02:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

A minor update. After leaving the PSU I borrowed plugged in for a while, the computer can now actually turn on and stay on. I'm guessing the PSU was turning on and off because of discharged capacitor (the person I borrowed it from wasn't using the PSU). However, still nothing shows up on the monitor. I've tried using my (probably faulty) 4870 X2 and the 5870 I bought yesterday. Same result. So faulty motherboard?

Old January 13, 2010, 03:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Are you sure it is 100% dry?
Old January 13, 2010, 03:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I've tried cleaning all the surface area I can actually reach. I've removed the HSF and removed the CPU from the socket and cleaned that as well. I've cleaned the back. And after all that I let it air dry for 1-2 days. I don't know how much more I can do to dry it.