Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Motherboard dead, solutions? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/27620-motherboard-dead-solutions.html)

fenix629 January 10, 2010 02:21 PM

Motherboard dead, solutions?

Hey all,

I'm having an issue with my motherboard and although I'm almost sure that it's dead, I just wanted to see if any of you folks would potentially have any solutions/advice for me.

Quick Backstory:
Specs: C2D e6400 @ 3.2 (400x8) on a GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 mobo w/ 4 gigs of ram, hd3870, antec 900. Been running this setup for 2+ years now.

Turned off my comp, went out, came on, turned it on and it won't boot. No picture, no beeps, nothing. All the components and fans are on however, except for my keyboard which doesn't light up (Razer Tarantula).

Tested my CPU and RAM on a friend's computer and they both work. Tried resetting my CMOS and still no go.

Before I go replacing the motherboard I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to revive my motherboard or throw out a guess as to what happened.

Additionally:
a) Suggestions for a new motherboard are welcome or if anyone has one for sale (I was thinking about picking up a used EP45-DQ6 for ~$120 online)
b) I was using Windows 7, and from what I understand I'd have to reinstall the OS if I replaced my motherboard. Are there any workarounds on that yet?

Thank you all for reading.

UPDATE:

Replaced my motherboard, video card, and now power supply. I'm really stumped as to what could be wrong here. :angry2:

Would the system refuse to POST if the hard drive is dead?
I picked up the motherboard on the BST forum here, think it might be DOA?

clone63 January 13, 2010 05:29 PM

Tested PSU?

MarkOne January 13, 2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenix629 (Post 315418)

EP45-DQ6 for ~$120 online

to expensive,

look here, full warranty no hassle

Newegg.ca - ep45

MarshallX January 21, 2010 06:48 AM

Ive got $5 that one of the rails in the psu is dead.

Fudd Rucker January 21, 2010 07:43 AM

I never reinstall windows when I change boards unless windows forces me to. Make sure you keep your HDD settings the same on your new board (AHCI,RAID,IDE mode) and you should be good. System will be a bit sluggish as it installs the basics from the new board. After that its just a matter of removing anything related to your old board from windows (drivers and utlitlies), doing fresh driver install and clean up the registry.

gerardfraser January 22, 2010 12:18 AM

You can try this,worked for me in the past

Remove video cards,ram and unplug all Hard drives and DVD .Unplug cord to power supply.

Remove battery,switch Cosmos jumper to reset position.Waited a 10 minutes.

Plug power supply cord back in,Leave Cosmos jumper in reset position.

Turn power on for a couple seconds,pull out cord to power supply.

Put Cosmos jumper back to correct position.Put all hardware back in and try to start it up.

KaptCrunch January 22, 2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerardfraser
You can try this,worked for me in the past

Remove video cards,ram and unplug all Hard drives and DVD .Unplug cord to power supply.

Remove battery,switch Cosmos jumper to reset position.Waited a 10 minutes.

Plug power supply cord back in,Leave Cosmos jumper in reset position.

Turn power on for a couple seconds,pull out cord to power supply.

Put Cosmos jumper back to correct position.Put all hardware back in and try to start it up.

its good till you have power on the MB with Cmos jumper in reset position...never do that

also should drain the caps by trying to start system after yanking AC cord out..to make sure no power on MB when reset Cmos

Rison January 23, 2010 09:04 AM

i'm with everyone else.. waiting for the power supply test. :)

fenix629 February 1, 2010 01:57 PM

Pulled out my power supply, tried using an Antec Earthwatts 500w, but still the same problem. Replaced my motherboard with an Asus P5Q, replaced my old video card (3870->4870), and the problem persists. I'm still using my Enermax 535w.

Right now I'm trying out the solution by gerardfraser, I'll post here once 10 minutes is up.

Thank you to everyone for their help so far. I hope this works...

fenix629 February 1, 2010 04:22 PM

No go on the power supply trick. Now using an Antec Earthwatts 500w that I had in my other system with no luck. :sad: