Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2010, 05:44 PM
Rookie

Default Radeon 5770 crashing when ever I play games.

I just recently built a new computer. I have been having problems when ever I play games with high settings my computer crashes after a few minutes. The computer either reboots itself or the screen will go black and lock up the computer. I am assuming its the graphics card but I'm not completely sure. I ran a memory test earlier today so im pretty sure its not that. I also monitored my temperature of the chip and the gpu the cpu was running in the 30's C and the card ranged from 40-60c. I have updated all my [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]drivers[/COLOR][/COLOR], gotten all the recent updates for my [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]windows[/COLOR][/COLOR] 7, and Flashed the most recnet bios onto my chip, I also tried disabling my onboard graphics card (from what I read it does it automatically). When ever im not playing games the computer runs perfect, internet runs fast, streams video well, so im not real sure whats going on. Please help.

My card is the xfx radeon 5770

Im running windows 7 64 bit OEM

Motherboard
Asus m4a785std-m evo

Chip
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Processor[/COLOR][/COLOR]

PSU
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

Memory
G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBECO

[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Hard [COLOR=blue !important]Drive[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Case
AZZA Helios 910 Black Japanese SECC Steel ATX [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Mid [COLOR=blue !important]Tower[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Computer Case - Retail
Old January 7, 2010, 07:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i would recommend testing each main part in another system. start with vid card and cpu. then try motherboard and ram. to help pinpoint.

did you set any bios setting?
in some cases "out the box" no motherboard is properly configured for all components epically the memory. maybe your memory is not running at its designed timings and voltages
Old January 7, 2010, 07:40 PM
Rookie

I think Im going to try setting the timings and voltages on my memory first... If that dosent work I may try running a game on the onboard graphics card to see if that works or if it cuts out as well. I dont really have another computer to test the parts in... I might try putting the video card in my old computer but I dont know if it will be able to handle it...
Old January 8, 2010, 04:34 AM
Top Prospect

you told us the gfx temperature when idle but not when on load. I doubt it is the problem but maybe it is worth to look towards that. Do you have proper case ventillation? that might also help. Also i would check you're power supply maybe swap with an other one same wattage or higher. Did you updated with lastest drivers? Did you format maybe?
Old January 8, 2010, 05:25 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I would completely remove the drivers and any related ATI software and then re-install for starters.

Also if your forcing AA from the CCC, some games really don't like that and tend to crash.

Try disabling VPU recovery in the CCC, sometimes this causes more issues than it solves.
Old January 8, 2010, 10:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm not an expert but i have been reading alot on people throwing some model's of low profile GPU's in hp slimlines model's with 160-180 watt psu

Some actually work, many dont

I bring this up because many of the failed attempts on putting a lowprofile graphics card into the slimlines seem to fail similar to what your describing. However, your psu should be more then able to handle what your throwing at it

perhaps your psu is not working properly, not sure if you can get it tested but i would bet you can
Old January 8, 2010, 10:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

also , not sure if that card takes two connections or one, if it only takes one maybe try to plug it in with the other connection seeing how your psu is sli ready

might be worth a try if you havent tried it, or a 2 second waiste of time
Old January 8, 2010, 12:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
you told us the gfx temperature when idle but not when on load. I doubt it is the problem but maybe it is worth to look towards that. Do you have proper case ventillation? that might also help. Also i would check you're power supply maybe swap with an other one same wattage or higher. Did you updated with lastest drivers? Did you format maybe?
The idle temp is aroudn 30c when I was playing before it would crash was close to 60c
Old January 9, 2010, 08:38 AM
Rookie

I took the video card out last night after trying a few more things. As of now im using the onboard graphics and have been able to play my game for several hours straight with out a crash. I have to have the graphics settings very low to play it but its playable. Would this mean that there is probably something with the card that I got?
Old January 9, 2010, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well if it works fine without it in then i would lean towards that