Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2010, 05:21 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Dr. Web. Hands down. I've used in places where Trendmicro, Notron and others have all failed to detect anything.

Dr.Web CureIt! — download free anti-virus! Cure viruses, Best free anti-virus scanner!

Its free. Its very fast and very thorough. Can't be beat in my opinion. Was the only AntiVi to remove a nasty e-card trojan virus at my company about a year or so ago. Oh, it's updated regularly as well.
Old January 7, 2010, 05:24 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

While it is not recomended to run multiple AV/AS/AM programs at once....I have always done so. SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) and Malwarebytes have free versions that are on demand, but cost 25 - 35 for lifetime supscription. IMHO will worth the investment. Avira is one of the better freeware version av's out there. Spend money on AS/AM programs and run free AV. You wont regret it. Hell just run Malwarebytes (paid version) + free Avira and you prolly will never be hit again. Throw in sandboxie and sandbox your web browser (and any programs you DL) and you will be double protected (as even if you get hit by a drive-by / rogue program while surfing it cant DO anything as its in its own little walled garden).

Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing
Malwarebytes.org
SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!
Anti virus for Linux, Windows and more with firewall, antispam, recovery security - Avira AntiVir

IF you ever decide to go paid AV...get Nod32 or Kaspersky. Both are great and well worth the yearly subscription.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 7, 2010, 05:34 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
.... Throw in sandboxie and sandbox your web browser .......its in its own little walled garden)..

so it's a software, every time I saw the word sandbox I was thinking it was running suspicious thing in a virtual OS... will give it a try later
Old January 7, 2010, 05:39 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

oh yeah you cant beat sandboxie...IF you dont want to run a full blown VMWare OS sandboxed (which I also do from time to time depending on what Im doing). Sandboxie is probably the smallest, lightweight yet secure program to do what it does which I have found. :)

To bad MS screwed em all over with PatchGuard and all their 64bit OS's...so sandboxie is 32bit OS only :(
Hers why:
Sandboxie - Windows Vista 64

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 7, 2010, 05:53 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
........so sandboxie is 32bit OS only :(
good to know, since all the stupid persons I know ( or let's say less award of the risk) , who open anything without looking use 32 bits..that's should not be a problem
Old January 7, 2010, 07:19 AM
MVP

Once a system is infected, I prefer to use virus scanner boot cd's.

Kaspersky Rescue Disk - Load Kaspersky AntiVirus 2009 Using DOS

This will boot up..load network card driver and download latest virus dat file/scan/remove.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old January 7, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Personally if you have to go as far as using a Sandboxie program on a personal computer to prevent infection I think that user SERIOUSLY needs a lesson.

I don't run AV and very seldomly run a spyware scan.

Its all common knowledge...

1) Don't use IE
2) Don't use Outlook/Windows Mail
3) Don't use Incredimail
Old January 7, 2010, 07:50 AM
Banned
F@H

[quote=enaberif;313619] I think that user SERIOUSLY needs a lesson.

they pay for learn, believe me . I don't fix their mistake for free But I also have the conscience to do more than just make them pay
Old January 7, 2010, 09:30 AM
Top Prospect

Ditto and by the hour!
Old January 7, 2010, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Antivirus 2010 uses sandboxie in order to infect machines, coincidently.