Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2010, 02:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default broken laptop. trying to pinpoint issue

So i got a laptop off eaby for too good to be true price. got it mailed opened it up didn't work, The sellers ebay acc is suspended and paypal gone so i cant even dispute, its been over 2 months now, tried a few routes still working on getting my money back form the dipshit. so now i just swallowed my grapes and get on to maybe salvage or repair it.

here are the issues at hand

1. battery and wall adpater plugged in. turns on for a second then shuts off briefly showing the acer logo

2. just battery does same as above

3. without battery and but with wall adapter plugged in NOTHING. no lights no logo no fan.

this sounds like a dead motherboard to me. but what do you guys think maybe a long shot quick fix.

Im getting ready to order a new motherboard for it for about 180$ so any suggestions would be great.

acer aspire 5315

any help at all is great.
Old January 6, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Over heating? Have you tried reapplying thermal paste? Cleaning it out etc... Just a thought as far as "quick fixes" go. It could be it already fried itself from heat as I have read that model is prone to CPU heat issues.

Edit

Hmm another thought... the battery may be overheating. Maybe take it to a used laptop store and see if they have another battery you can try in it? Although if it's already fried (sounds likely) not sure what a new battery will prove.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 6, 2010, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

sounds if wall adapter is not working. for won't boot with AC alone, this why it boots then craps out for battry ain't got enough juice
Old January 6, 2010, 06:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Try picking up a wall ac adapter from best buy or future shop to rule out that its not it. Best case scenario it is and you have your problem all fixed. Worst case is you can always return it and test something else.
Old January 6, 2010, 06:17 PM
Banned
F@H

I have a laptop on my bench with the same problem. I try everything , I also try an other power supply, how much you spent on it... what if you have an other problem after you spent on the motherboard ? You have many laptop specialized repair show that make free estimate. it's hard to find part to swap and make troubleshooting , even if you pay few $ on an estimate it can save you at the end, all true with your description of what happen on Ebay.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Try picking up a wall ac adapter from best buy or future shop to rule out that its not it. Best case scenario it is and you have your problem all fixed. Worst case is you can always return it and test something else.
that's one of the reason I don't sell part anymore, tired to see trying to return thing saying it was not the problem ...notice the word trying.
Old January 6, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok does it have a hard drive? I bought 3 broken laptops all the same model and pieced together a good lap top but I still had to by a Motherboard and the wall plugin
Old January 6, 2010, 07:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i took laptop apart. re applied thermal paste. still same deal

i paid 50$ for the laptop yeah i know of course rone what do ya think lol 50$. but the ad said tested working buy it now 49.99 free shipping so i bought it and it showed up in like 5 weeks.

yes it has hard drive it has everything ram ect. i took it apart to make sure it wasn't like missing something important. and nothing missing or visible wrong with the internals.

i guess i will try the laptop adapter thing see if that is the issue.

kinda kick in the pants 50$ for the laptop 200$ for a mother board. i don't think this laptop is worth 250$ used lol

after some more research i found people talking about acer bios recovery. i have no dvd rom in my desktop no room for it. i have to shut down my pc and hook one up to make a bootable cd. and they say hold Fn + esc then press the power button on the laptop. so just for the hell of it i did this method just to see if it would start. and sure enough black screen, the fan was blowing and it was trying to read form the cdrom. it stayed on till i turned it off. so maybe this bios thing might do the trick. they said normally the screen will be blank until it finishes.

so maybe the power adapter is not gone. i wish i knew someone with the same laptop

Acer Aspire 5315 DEAD!!
Old January 6, 2010, 07:55 PM
Allstar

Probably ac jack on laptop. Change position of plug and see if it will stay on longer. I have one here doing same thing just haven't gotten around to soldering in new one( which I already purchased)
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old January 6, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONEDOGG
after some more research i found people talking about acer bios recovery. i have no dvd rom in my desktop no room for it. i have to shut down my pc and hook one up to make a bootable cd. and they say hold Fn + esc then press the power button on the laptop. so just for the hell of it i did this method just to see if it would start. and sure enough black screen, the fan was blowing and it was trying to read form the cdrom. it stayed on till i turned it off. so maybe this bios thing might do the trick. they said normally the screen will be blank until it finishes.

so maybe the power adapter is not gone. i wish i knew someone with the same laptop

Acer Aspire 5315 DEAD!!
Wrong thing to do for you just wiped cmos out by doing that operation if HDD wasn't ACER OS with backup function.

you said had the acer logo before and now a blank screen...... means blank bios.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
Wrong thing to do for you just wiped cmos out by doing that operation if HDD wasn't ACER OS with backup function.

you said had the acer logo before and now a blank screen...... means blank bios.

No dude you misunderstood what i said or ya didn't read all what i said, or i just didn't explain clearly enough. When ya do the fn+esc it is SUPPOSED TO BE A BLACK SCREEN. then i rebooted the laptop and its back to the acer logo for .5 seconds then off it goes.

I am gonna tinker with the power adapter. i should have a new multimeter in the mail soon. so that might help pinpoint. I also think im gonna run to best buy later and buy a universal laptop adapter. Give it a go and if its not that at least best buy will return my stuff no questions asked.

So pretty much my one shot in hell is the power adapter NOT the motherboard. but if after i get a new power adapter and it still does it 90% chance its the motherboard?

Thanks for all the help guys. HWC has alot of smart fellers