Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2010, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Acer is notorious for the DC jack coming loose from the mobo,,i get em often, i replace jack on mobo and that fixes most..
jacks can be had for about $1 on ebay...might be worth testing b4 throwing it out..

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old January 7, 2010, 09:39 AM
Banned
F@H

you pay it $ 50 ........... put it in the garbage and stop to worry about it.... or play with it , but don't spent on it
Old January 8, 2010, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Here are a couple no cost things you can try:

1: get a multimeter an learn how to use it or find someone who does, then plug in the ac adapter and test the laptop end, the volts and amps should add up to the "output" on the ac brick part. *usually something like 19v and 3.42A* if it doesnt add up to those numbers, then get an new ac adapter at battdepot.ca they're usually pretty resonably priced.

If the ac adapter is putting out the "output" numbers, then its working fine, dont waste your money getting a different one.

2: take out the battery. plug in the AC cord, try and start it. I've seen a couple acer computers that had fried batteries that killed the unit while installed. remove it an they worked fine. buy a new batt at battdepot if this is your case.

3: reset the cmos. while you had the unit apart, did you notice the cmos battery? can you unplug it or is it soldered on? if you can unplug it, do so, if it was soldered on, remove the big battery and the ac plug and hold down the power button for about a minute.

4: replace the ram if you can, or test the modules in another unit if you can.

If those tests dont yield the answer, then its very likely the mobo needs to be replaced. its not hard to do, an they arnt that expensive, but try an get one from canada as shipping, brokerage and other fees will run you to the point where that ol acer just isnt worth investing in.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old January 8, 2010, 11:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

my vote is the DC power jack too. Seen it so many times. Usually it's just unsoldered on the inside.

Old January 8, 2010, 08:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quick thought (may have been said already).. but try booting with 1 SODIMM at a time. Upgraded RAM in a laptop once and in one configuration it would do as you explain, try to boot and shut down, switched their positions and it booted fine. Probably wont work, but its quick.
Old January 18, 2010, 11:53 AM
Top Prospect

If you have a voltmeter, plug it into the barrel connector of the laptop's power supply and compare the DC outputs you get with what's written on the supply. If you don't get any outputs at all, then presumably you now know what to do. If the power supply is giving correct outputs, you might also want to try a voltmeter just past the DC board (if applicable) of the laptop in case there's a problem there. Unplug the battery while doing this. Personally I've found changing thermal paste on laptops a bit of a gamble, because in some cases the screws won't tighten down far enough to get proper contact between the copper slug and the CPU after taking off the thermal pad, and you have to make a copper shim to make it fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONEDOGG View Post
i took laptop apart. re applied thermal paste. still same deal

i paid 50$ for the laptop yeah i know of course rone what do ya think lol 50$. but the ad said tested working buy it now 49.99 free shipping so i bought it and it showed up in like 5 weeks.

yes it has hard drive it has everything ram ect. i took it apart to make sure it wasn't like missing something important. and nothing missing or visible wrong with the internals.

i guess i will try the laptop adapter thing see if that is the issue.

kinda kick in the pants 50$ for the laptop 200$ for a mother board. i don't think this laptop is worth 250$ used lol

after some more research i found people talking about acer bios recovery. i have no dvd rom in my desktop no room for it. i have to shut down my pc and hook one up to make a bootable cd. and they say hold Fn + esc then press the power button on the laptop. so just for the hell of it i did this method just to see if it would start. and sure enough black screen, the fan was blowing and it was trying to read form the cdrom. it stayed on till i turned it off. so maybe this bios thing might do the trick. they said normally the screen will be blank until it finishes.

so maybe the power adapter is not gone. i wish i knew someone with the same laptop

Acer Aspire 5315 DEAD!!
Old January 20, 2010, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have a very similar issue but with a year and a half old HP Pavillion laptop (warranty expired). Last week it would randomly reboot then after that when I try to boot it it won't even go into the bios screen before it resets, now it won't boot at all.

I've been calling around the city and looking for laptop repair services. They told me it might be a motherboard issue and it will cost 300 plus labor, which I thought sounded too much (is that a reasonable price?). If the price is going to cost that much I might as well buy a new one.
Old January 20, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
I have a very similar issue but with a year and a half old HP Pavillion laptop (warranty expired). Last week it would randomly reboot then after that when I try to boot it it won't even go into the bios screen before it resets, now it won't boot at all.

I've been calling around the city and looking for laptop repair services. They told me it might be a motherboard issue and it will cost 300 plus labor, which I thought sounded too much (is that a reasonable price?). If the price is going to cost that much I might as well buy a new one.
yes that sounds about right, however you have to decide if its worth it yourself. if your happy with your machine's performance, and its going to cost much more than 400-450 to get the SAME performing laptop, then its worth it to fix it.

for example, if its a 600 dollar laptop thats 4 years old, buying a new one is better, but if it will cost 600 - 1000 to replace it for the same performing laptop and it was pretty new, then its better to pay half the price and get the old one repaired.

but before you replace the mobo, swap out the ram, and remove the battery (run it on ac only) If its not the ram, then likely need to replace the mobo.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old January 21, 2010, 02:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i have ordered new power brick on eBay for 10$ free shipping. same model so lets see what this brings should be here in mail this week or next
Old January 22, 2010, 09:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

issue resolved! i got a new laptop power brick in the mail today. and loan behold the computer started up !
thanks guys i was about to order a motherboard for the laptop. this fix was 10$ woo hooo