Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2010, 02:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

It's not a factory OC here is the exact card type 'HD-489X-ZSFC', seems like a cheapen version from the old XFX 4890s. It's ridiculous though, how does going over 60c make the card die? My old 8600 would game at 100 degrees (yes was full of dust lol). I'm going to underclock it to see if it makes a difference but still that's stupid, it should perform at it's rated specs.

Problem right now is I don't know if it's my computer or if the card is defective. It runs games super smooth and nice for the few minutes I can play then it dies. RMA time?
Old January 6, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use OCCT and Furmark to test graphics cards for gaming, both of which are listed under Overclocking tools of the trade
...although I have a Radeon 4850 that will pass as much of the aforementioned tools overnight but fail Folding at Home instantly with "NANs detected on GPU"

EDIT to answer recent post: My old Radeon 4850 sat at a toasty 85 Celsius through several hours of playing Crysis, and my current Radeon 4870 is currently holding 69C due to running F@H on one of those "dreaded" 511 point units. A temperature of 60C is actually quite good for a high-end card.
Since you're switching from 8600GT to Radeon 4890, that also means you must be drawing 2-3x as much power on the GPU, so the PSU may be an issue as well. If possible, try your card on some other computer that you know has the cooling and power supply necessary.

Last edited by frontier204; January 6, 2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old January 6, 2010, 02:50 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I just underclocked the GPU and memory to minus 100Mhz and still dies. My PSU is a new Corsair TW650w which I used for about 1 week. I'm quite certain it's the card that is causing the issues unless the new PSU's 6pin pcie somehow is messed up while all the sata, molex, 24pin mobo etc connections are fine.

Anyway I did some more googling and found out about this post on the 4870
AMD Game Forums - Radeon 4870 Graphic lockup crash fix <-- going to give this a try

Seems like the core clock keeps jumping around which I see now is set as 240Mhz instead of 850Mhz (default settings) which is weird. Clock on CCC says 850 but in the 'Current Values' It's set to 240.

Edit: nevermind, apparently that's what the card is supposed to be set as if it's not really gaming/using 3D stuff, 'low power mode'. So this one probably isn't the issue.... sigh

Old January 6, 2010, 03:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Look at your GPUZ screen shot. It shows the default clocks being at 750/850, and your card shows as running at 850/975. That's why I asked if it was a factory OC. I've got the feeling it's your memory crapping out at that speed.
Now, if you haven't OC'd it, and those are XFX's defaults, send it back. If you played with the overdrive sliders, back it off and try again. And I use Furmark or OCCT's GPU test to stress my cards. And folding.

Edit: Nah, those are the factory clocks shown on your GPU-Z shot, I just checked. It's a defective card. RMA time.
Old January 6, 2010, 04:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I guess it is time to RMA, just wanted to make sure it was not my computer's fault. Anyway should I deal with NCIX where I bought the card or with XFX? I live in Ontario and NCIX is in BC while XFX headquarters are in California... I also have a $20 mail in rebate which I need to get out within 30 days.

Thanks for all the help guys, first time RMAer here :/

Decided to go with NCIX since shipping to the US will take much longer.

Last edited by Ghiness; January 6, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old January 8, 2010, 03:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Okay now I am really unsure/confused. So so far the computer has been running fine, I just did an hour long test on OCCT and it worked fine, before computer would usually crash about 1 minute into the test. Some of the games that usually crashed a few minutes in I can get about 30 to 1 hours of gameplay in them with no problems (only tested for that long).

I really don't know what to do now... Could it have been a voltage issue? I seemed to be progressively more and more stable. WHen I first installed the card it died once I click on the login screen to XP.

Tags
4890 , fan , graphic